Views
Helpful
Replies

Create STS-V circuit between 2 15454 SONET with CE100T

jimbowen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a problem that I cannot find documentation for.

I am creating a point to point ethernet circuit between 2 15454 SONET nodes with CTC ver 8.5.  The circuit will transport a non-routed VLAN between Cisco 4948 switches in 2 data centers.  I am using CE100T-8 cards with ethernet set to 100/full, flow control checked.  The POS is configured with GFP-F framing and 32 bit CRC.  Circuit type is a STS-V single STS for 50Mbit of bandwidth.

The switch ports are configured as access ports on the VLAN set to 100/full.  At end B, the connection between the switch and CE port is a straight thru cable.  End A is a crossover.  switch ports are configured as such:

switchport access vlan 512

switchport mode access

switchport nonegotiate

speed 100

duplex full

Problem I have is that End A has the alarm "Transport Layer Failure" Near end and End B has the alarm "Carrier Loss on the LAN" near end.  Neither end shows a ethernet link

Cabling has been tested, I have tried other ports on the CE and have deleted and recreated the circuit map.

What simple step/setting am I missing?

Thank you in advance,

Jim Bowen

bowenj@michigan.gov

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ryan Gadwood
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jim,

It sounds like your problem is on your B side that has the Carrier Loss on LAN. The Transport Layer Failure will be on the far end node in these cases.

You mentioned that the B end is a straight cable from the switch to the CE card but the A side is crossover. The first thing you can try is putting a crossover cable on the B side as well since it looks like the A side is working okay(does not have Carrier Loss on LAN). 

I can't recall if the CE cards have an option to hardcode the speed and duplex but if they do then try that as well if the cable suggestion doesn't work. If that doesn't work you can try the auto negotiation setting on both switch and CE card to see if that fixes your problem. Once the Carrier Loss and LAN alarm clear you should be up and running.

Also I can't remember if the CE supports loopback testing but if you can try try putting a terminal loopback on the B side(this will be back towards to optics) your A end should come up and your switch should show up/up looped. Let me know how things work out for you. Looks like you are almost there just a couple tweaks should get it up and running.

Thanks.

Ryan

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Ryan Gadwood
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jim,

It sounds like your problem is on your B side that has the Carrier Loss on LAN. The Transport Layer Failure will be on the far end node in these cases.

You mentioned that the B end is a straight cable from the switch to the CE card but the A side is crossover. The first thing you can try is putting a crossover cable on the B side as well since it looks like the A side is working okay(does not have Carrier Loss on LAN). 

I can't recall if the CE cards have an option to hardcode the speed and duplex but if they do then try that as well if the cable suggestion doesn't work. If that doesn't work you can try the auto negotiation setting on both switch and CE card to see if that fixes your problem. Once the Carrier Loss and LAN alarm clear you should be up and running.

Also I can't remember if the CE supports loopback testing but if you can try try putting a terminal loopback on the B side(this will be back towards to optics) your A end should come up and your switch should show up/up looped. Let me know how things work out for you. Looks like you are almost there just a couple tweaks should get it up and running.

Thanks.

Ryan

Yep, changed CE and switch ports to auto/auto, circuit came up.  Never thought that auto setting would be valid for network settings.  Thank you

Jim,

Glad to hear everything is working. If you haven't already checked you might want to verify the autonegotiate is working at 100/full on both switch and CE card. I have seen it sometimes where it is different than what you would expect. Hardcoding both switch and CE cards would be recommended but if that does not work then autonegotiate is your only option. Thanks.

Ryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: