Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM upgrade from 6.1 to 8.6

Hi,

We are planning Publisher upgrade from version 6.1 to 8.6 on UCS.

We have purchased licenses for 8.6 version.

Our upgrade steps would be:

-Take the spare MCS server and install 6.1 version.

-DRS backup of production server

-DRS restore on test server

-upgrade to 6.1.4

-install COP file

-upgrade to 8.6

-change IP address (so we can test somethings before migration)

-DRS backup

-create VM on UCS

-DRS restore

-change IP address (when we migrate)

My questions are :

- at what point(s) should we upload licenses?

- should we do it after changing ip address and then use answer file generator for VM on UCS?

- what is happening to licenses when the ip address of the server is changed? I didn't read anything regarding this in the guide.

Regards,

Nikola

6 Replies 6

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Nikola,

This info may help you

When you change any of the parameters that create the license MAC,  the license that you obtained with it becomes invalid. You must request a  rehosting of the license to obtain a valid license. The old license  continues to work for a 30-day grace period.

#

To rehost your licenses, you must open a case with the licensing team. Contact the licensing team at licensing@cisco.com.

#

During  the grace period, you can change the settings back to the licensed  values to make your original license valid again. If you need more than  30 days of grace period, change your settings back to the licensed  values, then change them back to the new values that you want to use.  You will get another 30- day grace period.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/rel_notes/8_0_1/delta/vmware.html#wp1058262

Cheers!

Rob

"Spend your life waiting,
for a moment that just don't come,
Well, don't waste your time waiting" 

-Springsteen

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To add on to Rob's info (+5 Huff. 4 for the post and 1 extra for the Springsteen quote).

My questions are :

- at what point(s) should we upload licenses?

- should we do it after changing ip address and then use answer file generator for VM on UCS?

I recently did the same upgrade, I changed the IP address on the interim upgrade step. So, I pulled the DRS file from the existing server to my lab/staging server. Did the upgrade to the interim release (6.1.4 in your plan), changed the IP address, then moved to 8.6. Though, I suspect that you can have the 8.6 system upgraded, change IP, and then do the first license juggle. I just thought it better to do the IP address change prior to the upgrade and I didn't want to dork around with experimentation.

My questions are :

- what is happening to licenses when the ip address of the server is  changed? I didn't read anything regarding this in the guide.

The license MAC is generated by hashing the following user-configured parameters:

◊ Time zone

◊ NTP server 1 (or ?none?)

◊ NIC speed (or ?auto?)

◊ Hostname

◊ IP Address (or ?dhcp?)

◊ IP Mask (or ?dhcp?)

◊ Gateway Address (or ?dhcp?)

◊ Primary DNS (or ?dhcp?)

◊ SMTP server (or ?none?)

◊ Certificate Information (Organization, Unit, Location, State, Country)

So, if you change the IP address, mask, and/or GW address then you are changing the values used to generate the hash. Therefore the resulting pseudo-mac-address will be different. At this point the server will start complaining and you are at the stage Rob described.

HTH.

-Bill (http://ucguerrilla.com)

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Hey Bill,

Should have been 0 for me and 5 for the Boss

+5 for your great notes on this! I'm guessing you've been spending

a ton of time in the basement lately working on the CCIE-V journey. I

hope it's going well my friend!

Cheers!

Huff

-Springsteen

Thank you both! Your answers are helpful.

Is it possible to avoid tampering with licensing until I restore configuration on VM on UCS?

Is it possible to do following:

When I install 6.1 on the spare server, licenses become invalid because of different mac. During the 30-day grace period I would upgrade to 6.1.4, change IP address, then upgrade to 8.6. Then do DRS backup, restore that config to VM on UCS. And then with PAK order licenses, and test CUCM for a few days, along with 6.1 in production. Finaly, in the weekend of migration, I would change IP address to match the old publisher, and use answer file generator to obtain new license mac.

Regards,

Nikola

Hi Nikola,

First off, you are most welcome

Your plan should be fine, but I might try to generate the final license

with all the proper License Mac info a few days before the weekend

upgrade window just in case there are any delays. You will have the full

30 days to update but if you want to tie up all the loose ends then maybe

go this route.

Cheers!

Rob

-Springsteen

Hello all,

I hope it's ok to add to this past thread but I am performing the exact same upgrade ;-)

My question is this:

I was under the impression that my ESW/UCSS contract would allow me to rehost my 6.1 Licensing on the new 8.6 deployment.  I have completed my bridge upgrades and have been running my migrated configuration on 8.6 on new UCS servers with temporary licenses.  But now that I am ready to rehost before going into production I am hearing from Cisco that I need to purchase Migration licenses.  If I have been wrong all along I can accept that, though there will be much 'splaining to do with my client.  But I would like to know where the ESW upgrade path ended and the upgrade became required. 

Thanks very much for your consideration.

- Miles

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: