cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7004 integration with Cisco 6500 catalyst

Hi,

I am planning to redesign the DC by replacing the

existing 6500 catalyst cores with Nexus 7004

and introducing an  access layer with multiple 6500 catalyst , nexus 5500 and nexus 2200 as access switches.

Are there any known issues for Nexus 7004 as core integration with 6500 catalyst as accesss ?

Any limitations to be considered while adding access-layer to Nexus 7004 ?

Regards

Diana

5 Replies 5

Andras Dosztal
Level 3
Level 3

I don't think you'll have any problems, however a more detailed topology would help to be sure. Also, here's a whitepaper about N7k vPC integration with Cat6.5k VSS.

Oleksandr Nesterov
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi DIana.

There shouln't be any incompatibility issues.

Just be sure that you have checked switch data-sheets to be aware abut capabilities of the devices:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9402/products_data_sheets_list.html

and plan your topology properly.

HTH,

Alex

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.

Actullay I am planning to setup a pair of Nexus 7004 each with M2 series 24-port card. Connect them via VPC and configure them as L3 Core switches. Downstream to these cores , I have plans to connect 4 x 6500 catalyst as access switches and 2 pairs of Nexus 5548 with Fex associated on them.again as access switches.

I see no problems with Nexus 5500 integration with Nexus 7004, but not sure how well the 6500 catalyst can integrate with Nexus 7004.

Thanks in Advance

Diana

Hi Diana.

What do you mean under the term "integration".

If you are concerned about LACP, STP, VTP and routing protocols - there shouldn't be any issues.

VPC from the cat 6k side will be considered as standart port-channel - cat6k won't see that behind it there are 2 nexus.

Just be aware which topoligies are supported for VPC. For example you cannot run routing protocol over VPC links.

HTH,

Alex 

jkilleda
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Diana,

Nexus 7004 integration with Cisco 6500 catalyst

There won't be an issues related to the topology mentioned below , it's a simple topology but just be careful about the configuration that you do on it , may be you can refer/crosscheck with a configuration guide for it .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: