Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5545X hardware specs

s.van
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I got my hands on a brand new asa 5545X. After reading on the hardware specs and comparing the real thing with my own eyes has got me into a confusion.

I can only access 1 core cpu with 6G of ram, however the specs says about 8 core cpu and 12G of ram. where is the remaining hardware hidden away ?

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 9.1(1)
Device Manager Version 7.1(1)52

Compiled on Wed 28-Nov-12 11:15 PST by builders
System image file is "disk0:/asa911-smp-k8.bin"
Config file at boot was "startup-config"

asa-1 up 9 mins 46 secs

Hardware:   ASA5545, 12288 MB RAM, CPU Lynnfield 2659 MHz, 1 CPU (8 cores)
            ASA: 6144 MB RAM, 1 CPU (1 core)
Internal ATA Compact Flash, 8192MB
BIOS Flash MX25L6445E @ 0xffbb0000, 8192KB

Can someone help me to understand this difference please ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The ASA and IPS within ASA-X series shares CPU, RAM and Flash, and they are pre-allocated.

The 1 core and 6G of RAM is allocated for the ASA and the rest are allocated for the IPS.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The ASA and IPS within ASA-X series shares CPU, RAM and Flash, and they are pre-allocated.

The 1 core and 6G of RAM is allocated for the ASA and the rest are allocated for the IPS.

Thanks Jennifer for the reply. I presume this allocation cant be chnaged even if i dont need the IPS functionality on the ASA.

You are absolutely correct. It has been permanently pre-allocated for the specific functionality, ie ASA and IPS even though you are not using the IPS part.

Thanks a lot, its clear now!

Hello, I'm on the same situation asking about this, is there a document from Cisco where mentions this??  I need to validate it.

Regards,

Juan Carlos Arias

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card