Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5545X hardware specs

s.van
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I got my hands on a brand new asa 5545X. After reading on the hardware specs and comparing the real thing with my own eyes has got me into a confusion.

I can only access 1 core cpu with 6G of ram, however the specs says about 8 core cpu and 12G of ram. where is the remaining hardware hidden away ?

Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 9.1(1)
Device Manager Version 7.1(1)52

Compiled on Wed 28-Nov-12 11:15 PST by builders
System image file is "disk0:/asa911-smp-k8.bin"
Config file at boot was "startup-config"

asa-1 up 9 mins 46 secs

Hardware:   ASA5545, 12288 MB RAM, CPU Lynnfield 2659 MHz, 1 CPU (8 cores)
            ASA: 6144 MB RAM, 1 CPU (1 core)
Internal ATA Compact Flash, 8192MB
BIOS Flash MX25L6445E @ 0xffbb0000, 8192KB

Can someone help me to understand this difference please ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The ASA and IPS within ASA-X series shares CPU, RAM and Flash, and they are pre-allocated.

The 1 core and 6G of RAM is allocated for the ASA and the rest are allocated for the IPS.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The ASA and IPS within ASA-X series shares CPU, RAM and Flash, and they are pre-allocated.

The 1 core and 6G of RAM is allocated for the ASA and the rest are allocated for the IPS.

Thanks Jennifer for the reply. I presume this allocation cant be chnaged even if i dont need the IPS functionality on the ASA.

You are absolutely correct. It has been permanently pre-allocated for the specific functionality, ie ASA and IPS even though you are not using the IPS part.

Thanks a lot, its clear now!

Hello, I'm on the same situation asking about this, is there a document from Cisco where mentions this??  I need to validate it.

Regards,

Juan Carlos Arias

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: