Views
Helpful
Replies

High density wireless deployment question

etmarcof
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,
I have read in some documents that we should have one Ap for more or less 50 clients.
But i also read for example in ap 2600 specs that it support maximum 200 connections per radio.
So for example in a conference room (10mx5meter) for 150 users in theory can i have just on Ap2600 for web surfing or i should have 3?

Best regards
MC

14 Replies 14

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The max that you see on the data sheet does mean you can have x amount connected, but doesn't guarantee any throughout. The rule of thumb is 25 clients per AP. High density in a school is having like one AP per room that may hold up to around 30 students. Also including APs in the hallway, etc. Office areas can be the same. One AP per 25 or less users. Auditorium or large open areas are difficult to do high density like what I mentioned above because of the signal bleed in open areas. It's harder to control that. In these areas, you might look at the stadium APs and the stadium antennas.

Just remember, the amount of clients depend on the application that is being used on the wireless. If your doing video streaming, you may only have 8 devices connected before the user experience starts getting affected. Wireless is half duplex. So you take the max throughout on the 2.4ghz using. 802.11n and you divide that in half. So 144mbps is actual 73mbps throughout for one device. Now with two devices, you divide that again in half, so 36mbps for each and so one.

Hope this helps you understand.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Forgot to attach. Here is a high density deployment guide to look at.

http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/docs/education/cisco_wlan_design_guide.pdf

-Scott

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addition to Scott's post, a lot of people I've met forgot to consider their switching infrastructure.  One guy I've spoken to has deployed 802.11n AP in a lecture hall but he's plugged his to a 10/100BaseTx switch (a 2950-24T, as a matter of fact).

In modern wireless deployment, you want to ensure that your switch can support 10 Gbps traffic. 

Leo... What???? You mean there is still 10/100 out there and not 10gb to the access... What what!!! Haha

-Scott

It happens because the CIO "doesn't want to spend money on IT" but he wants wireless (so he can brag to his peers).  So they are stuck with 2900XL/3500XL, 2950 and FastEthernet 3750.

They overloaded the lecture hall (two autonomous APs) and >80 people.  So aside from low signal, there was low throughput. 

Haha... I just did a design with a large global company and they too had 10/100 and I was like... Really? Well I guess your going to have to upgrade that to gigabit:) They were like... Okay. If you recommend it. Haha

I guess it's different, because when they bring in consultants like me, I will not guarantee certain things if they don't follow my recommendations. So far so good.

-Scott

I guess it's different, because when they bring in consultants like me, I will not guarantee certain things if they don't follow my recommendations. So far so good.

If a company hires and PAYS for a consultant, the least they can do if FOLLOW the recommendation.

As what I've told that mate of mine, nobody takes free advice seriously.  And this is why the CIO scoffed at my recommendation. 

I hear ya Leo. I have friends that work for companies and they have to make things work. I still have client that just want me to get things working with what they have.

-Scott

Hi,
Thaís for the advices.
I agree with you both. But because económic crisis costumers dont want to spend money...and we have to manage solutions.
I was thinking in using Ap2600 with integrated antennas in ceiling mount. But for económic reasons also though in 1600. Do you have feedback if these will perform well in high density?

Best regards
MC

But for económic reasons also though in 1600

I'm with Scott.  I wouldn't recommend 1600 for medium-to-high density wireless usage.

My opinion is to stick with 3600 because you may find the need to add some optional modules in the future.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you look at the comparison chart it has the 3602 as the AP for high density. I would say you can look at the 2602 also, but I wouldn't recommend the 1602's for high density.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is the comparison chart

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5678/ps10981/at_a_glance_c45-636090.pdf

-Scott

Yahya Jaber
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I would set rate limit for the clients.

Can you start a new thread please.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card