Views
Helpful
Replies

Prime 1.2 Heat Map

ramarao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would need assitance on explaining the heat map in Cisco Prime. Some AP's signal are shown as red (-35-45 dbm)  , but some AP's are shown as yellow (-55-65 dbm).

Utilization, power, comparing the AP which has excellent red signal and yellow/green signal are same.

Kindly advise.

Rama

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Here is a link that sort of explains it. Remember that this isn't going to give you the same readings as if you were using a survey tool to capture the RSSI value.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/ncs/1.0/configuration/guide/maps.html#wp1080107

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Prime is estimating the RSSI in the floor plan and that is why you see some areas in yellow and not red. Typically you will see red when you have an AP in that room or right around the AP. PI is calculating the floor plan by what it hears from the other APs and where you are placing the APs on the map. APs in the wrong location will throw the color off also so that is important to make sure the AP locations are correct.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Are there any Cisco Doc states the info you have given? What kind calculation/algorithm does PI determine the dbm color per AP and what actually does it hear from other AP to determine the color.

Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that sort of explains it. Remember that this isn't going to give you the same readings as if you were using a survey tool to capture the RSSI value.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/ncs/1.0/configuration/guide/maps.html#wp1080107

-Scott

Hello!

It was noticed that we have two parametrs of calculating the heat maps: AP location and information from other APs.

What about obstales drawn in Map Editor?

Does NCS take them into considiration when calculating the heat maps?

Does NCS compare obstales with information from other APs when calculating the heat maps?

I also noticed some peculiarity: when I add obstales and click "Save and recompute RF prediction", after RF is predicted there are heat maps without lots of red zones. After choosing "Reload from network" the Heat maps change a lot of red zones appear.

So, the Heat maps from RF prediction differ a lot and from the "Reload from network" heatmap.

In this case, what is taken into considiration when calculating the location?

Is there any way to disable "Refresh Map from Network" feature (Prime 1.3)?

In Maps -> Properties there is an opportunity to disable "Refresh Map from Network" feature.

When returning to Maps -> Properties after some time, the "Refresh Map from Network" is enabled again.

Is it normal situation?

Does it refer to auto refresh feature in Floor area itself?

Yes it is for that floor and you do want the latest info. That is default and is a good thing.

-Scott

It seems, that after auto update from netwrok Heat Maps do not take walls and obstacles into considiration. Red zones are displayed even behind the thick walls and doors, drawn in the Map editor.

In Site Maps -> Properties the option Wall Usage Calibration  "Use walls" is chosen.

As far as I understand, this tells NCS to take drawn walls into considiration. while calculating HeatMaps

The only walls I would draw in is the outer walls so PI knows what's possibly inside or outside.  Interior walls have a limitation on how many you can put on a floor if I recall.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

I thought, that the more walls is drawn, the more carefull will be the Heat Map and Location accuracy.

Then why do we need obstacles at all?

It's there if you want to use it, but I don't at all.  The AP's will triangulate the devices based off of rssi values so it depends on how well the floor was surveyed and if it was surveyed for data, voice, location or even high density.  There is really no need if you ask me to put in the interior walls.  The exterior is a different story.  Anyway's, how would you know how every wall is constructed.... that would take forever and it doesn't include the other materials that also causes attenuation.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

sahseth
Level 1
Level 1
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card