cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows 8 installation of VPN Client Software (x86 64-bit version) results in "Icon09DB8A851.exe" on startup task

shigeo.yamada
Level 1
Level 1

I've just installed a VPN Client Software for x86 64-bit version of Vista and Windows 7 (vpnclient-winx64-msi-5.0.07.0440-k9.exe) to Windows 8.  It's working without problem except that it seems to add an entry "c:\Windows\Installer\{5FDC06BF-3D3D-4367-8FFB-4FAFCB61972D}\Icon09DB8A851.exe" onto startup task. I suspect the installer program (InstallShield) is not working properly.  I'd like to know if anyone has same issue or my computer got infected in malware.

31 Replies 31

oamarneh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco IPSec VPN Client is not supported on Windows 8, it has never been tested on Windows 8 and it is not on the roadmap.

Anyconnect Secure Mobility Client is the only supported VPN client on Windows 8.

Cisco, this is pathetic! 

This fix works!
Better is first install your Cisco VPN Client and then open Center Network and Sharing, go to Change Adapter Settings and check what is the name assigned to your Cisco VPN Adapter, normally it is "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter", then open de registry with Regedit as follows
1. Open Registry editor by typing regedit in Run prompt
2. Browse to the Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\CVirtA
3. Select the DisplayName to modify, and remove the leading characters from the value data upto "%;" i.e.
- For x86, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter”

- For x64, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows”

This works for me laptop with Windows 8.

jkarimov1
Level 1
Level 1

Just to update, the legacy Cisco VPN client (5.0.07.0440 for x64, 5.0.07.0410 for x86) is working for some people. You need to apply a small workaround as explained below –

1. Open Registry editor by typingregedit in Run prompt

2. Browse to the Registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\CVirtA

3. Select the DisplayName to modify, and remove the leading characters from the value data upto "%;" i.e.

- For x86, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter”

- For x64, change the value data from something like "@oem8.inf,%CVirtA_Desc%;Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows” to "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows”

- Try connecting again

Hope this will help.

This fix worked perfect on my new Windows 8 Laptop

Thanks!

Dears I have installed the client on the new windows 8.1 enterprise,

after the installation the client prevent me from doing a sleep and hibernating the laptop,

Please advise

Jeyhun's registry fix worked for me on Windows 8 and on Windows 8.1 Thank You Jeyhun!

I have installed Shrew VPN on win8.1and it is working

Thanks a lot,

it works successful on windows 8 on my laptop

CSCO11749293
Level 1
Level 1

Guys Cisco VPN client on window 8 is not supported by Cisco. we are facing issues with vpn client on our few window 8 machines. you can fix Error 442: Failed to Enable Virtual Adapter by cahnge register entry but we have three user they are getting connect to VPN client, it showing connect but they not able to access network, they can't ping any server & i don't see any traffic going in and out. any solution for this issue ?????

Ciao!

I have the same problem.

I have successfully installed Cisco VPN Client v. 5.0.07.0440 on a  Windows 8 PC. It works and I can establish a VPN connection but when I  start RDP I receive the following message:

that means:
"Impossible to connect to the remote computer for one of the following reasons:

1) the remote access is not active
2) the remote computer is switched off
3) the remote computer is not connected to the network

Verify that the computer is switched on and connected to the network and that the remote access is active."

Of course the remote computer is switched on and if I try to connect through a PC with Windows 7 or XP with the same credential,  RDP works correctly.

Typing in a DOS windows the command ipconfig /all I can see that all the parameter are correct. I think that the problem is on Windows RDP command but I do not know what I have to change.

May you help me? any idea?

ciao Franco

HI Ciao

I tried lots of different things but somehow VPN client is not passing any traffic. same problem i facing on window 8 and everything works on window 7. I end up using 3rd part toll called Shrew which works fine on windows 8 & 8.1 and its open source

https://www.shrew.net/download

good thing is you can import your .pcf file in Shrew.

Note: Please reboot your machine after installion and use it and also unistall cisco VPN client if possible

Thanks

Pawan

Hopefully someone will still see this in this old thread,

I'm using windows 8.1 and Cisco VPN. I'm using it to connect to a client's network which I have no control over.

I have been using win8, or 8.1 for about a year and a half now, and haven't had problems until recently.

I can connect to the Cisco VPN, never needed the registry hack, but even though it says it's connected, it looks as though the traffic is not being tunneled through it.

After I connect to the Cisco VPN, I need to establish another Microsoft VPN which says it cannot connect, similar to the RDP issue above.

As I said, this all worked for about a year and a half, and some ten days ago it just stopped working.

I've had a similar issue recently because of a windows update, but resolved that by removing that update and ended up disabling windows update completely because of it.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12423591/latest-microsoft-feb-2015-patch-breaks-anyconnect-smc

I didn't make any changes to my computer configuration, I was actually connected to the VPN at the moment it just stopped working and cannot connect to it any more.

The client's support claims they didn't change anything in their network configuration, but haven't been very helpful generally.

I tried using DNE update, it didn't help either, will try using shrew.

If anybody had a problem where it suddenly stopped working recently, any help is appreciated.

I tried every trick in the book, and then some on my first Windows 8.1 Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro to get the Cisco VPN Client working, and then some, but it never would work, period. Unfortunately, some companies, like IPExpert only "support", this EOL/EOS product. Believe me, I spent untold hours. I finally upgraded an old copy of VMware Workstation and spun up a Windows 7 VM. The Cisco  VPN C;ient worked fine in a Windows 7 VM  on my laptop.

Just recently I acquired a Lenovo M93P Tiny (very nice tiny, yet powerful PC, i7 CPU,  16GB RAM, SSD disk). It runns Win8.1. The Cisco VPN client works fine on it, go figure.

Good luck, 

David

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: