Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 - Password

Amir Eskandari
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

I am new with ASA devices

I have a ASA 5505, the former IT manager does not remember the password of it. I am just wondering do I lose the configuration on it if I reset the

password?

if yes, how can I download the configuration before resetting the password.

and how can I upload the downloaded configuration

Thank you in advance for your time

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

This Cisco document should detail the steps for Password Recovery.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/trouble.html#wp1058131

Basically what this does is

• It boots the ASA without configuration
  • When its booted up you copy the original configuration to the ASA
  • Since you have already booted the ASA and have a management access to it copying the old configuration from the startup to the running configuration wont effect your management connection (in other words you will not be prompted to autenticate)
  • In between you should be able to use the typical show commands to get the configuration copied to Notepad or even send it to tftp server I guess

There are several guides online or even videos on Youtube which go through the process more clearly than the simply section of Cisco document I linked above.

You shouldnt loose your configuration unless you somehow manage to overwrite it

- Jouni

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

This Cisco document should detail the steps for Password Recovery.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa72/configuration/guide/trouble.html#wp1058131

Basically what this does is

• It boots the ASA without configuration
  • When its booted up you copy the original configuration to the ASA
  • Since you have already booted the ASA and have a management access to it copying the old configuration from the startup to the running configuration wont effect your management connection (in other words you will not be prompted to autenticate)
  • In between you should be able to use the typical show commands to get the configuration copied to Notepad or even send it to tftp server I guess

There are several guides online or even videos on Youtube which go through the process more clearly than the simply section of Cisco document I linked above.

You shouldnt loose your configuration unless you somehow manage to overwrite it

- Jouni

Hi Jouni,

Thank you so much for your reply. Actually I have tried the procedure on my other ASA 5505 as a test and it worked but I do not want to create a mess in my real network. until I have to.

any way thank you so much for your time

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card