Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BE6K VCS Question

Never used VCS before.

BE6K 9.0 comes with VCS included. The VCS has the following 

• LIC-VCS-10+ (Video Comm Server 10 Add Non-traversal Network Calls)
  • LIC-VCSE-5+ (Video Communication Server - 5 Traversal Calls).

My client currently has 3 standalone SX-20 boardrooms which communicate internally (behind the firewall). Now we want to add 100 Jabber devices and enable both the SX-20s and Jabber devices to make video calls with other devices on the internet (outside the firewall). I want to use the integrated VCS for communicating with outiside world.

Question:

(1). Where would be the best place to register my SX-20 & Jabber devices? CUCM or VCS?

(2). How many VCS appliences do I need? I ask because I see many documents stating that you need one server for VCS-C and another for VCS-E but this BE6K-VCS one seems to me like an all in one solution.

(3). How many endpoints can I register to the VCS? I don't see anywhere in the configuration that states the number of device licenses.

Please assist.

I look forward to your help

16 Replies 16

ahmashar
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

1) if you are you making ext-ext calls, then register the devices on VCSE, since you don't have that many licenses.

2) you need min 1 VSC for internal calls and 1 min VCSE for external calls. if you want to make resiliency and redundancy in the sytem, then you need more to make clusters.

3) max is 2500 per server. please page 17 of this doc.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/admin_guide/Cisco_VCS_Administrator_Guide_X6.pdf

it's valid for x7.x too.

regards, Ahmad

Thanks Ahmad for the quick reply!

Just to clarify, My questions where all related to the new BE6K appliance that comes with both CUCM 9.0 & VCS preinstalled. Using top-level part number BE6K-ST-BDL-K9=

(1). Which type of VCS does this server have (is it VCS-C or VCS-E or both)? In CCW it's only given as VCS.

I'm tempted to think it's both because I see non-traversal and traversal call licenses included in the

single appliance (LIC-VCS-10+ & LIC-VCSE-5+).

(2). Like the CUCM 9.0 that comes with a starter bundle, does this VCS also come with default licenses for

endpoint registration (both Tandberg and Jabber Video)

(3). Also, if I were to register the SX-20 units and Jabber devices to CUCM 9.0 would I be able to use this same VCS

for making external video calls (outside the firewall)?

Hi Kelvin,

1) The difference between VCSC and VCSE is the expressway option key. if installed it's VCSE and if not it's VCSC.

by looking at only the type of traversal and nont-traversal licenses cannot say it 's control or expressway. Because VCSC can have traversal licenses. You need travesal licenses for H323<>SIP conversion, IPv4<>IPv6 convesrsion, etc.

2) you need to talk to channel manager to see on what deal you can get.

3) You can register them to CUCM but to make an internet call, you need a VCSC and VCSE pair to pass-through internal firewwall.

BE6K has VCS-c - it doesn't come with the Expressway option key.

Thanks,

Guy

Now getting some light thanks to Ahmad and Guy.

So now I'm planning to do the following:

1. Buy 2 BE6K servers
  2. Use 1 for VCS-C
  3. Aquire Expressway option keys and turn the other into VCS-E for firewall traversal

Will my scheme work?

sounds good. you need one VCSC for internal calls and one VCSE for traversal/internet calls.

regards, Ahmad

I'm asking particulary about the BE6K servers.

Sure, as long as it has the application servers on it. do you need BE6k or you want VCS server? I am asking this becaue you can get CTI-VCS also (as standalone appliance).

Hi Ahmad,

I am thinking I can deploy the solution as shown in the figure below.

BE6K appliance behind the firewall. Within the BE6K there is CUCMv9.0 and VCS-C as virtual servers. I register my devices (TP & Jabber) to the CUCM.

Outside the firewall I install another BE6K appliance. Add the Expressway option key to turn its virtual VCS into VCS-E.

Calls from my CUCM registered devices traverse through the VCS-C & VCS-E to the outside world.

Question:

Is this setup achievable using the BE6K server with top level number  BE6K-ST-BDL-K9= ???

Hi kelvin,

Sure. As long as VCS is bundled in BE6k the scenario is good to go.

regards, Ahmad

Thank you.

I also want to add TCS, MCU & TMS in the mix.

Do I need extra licensing to add these servers?

Ahmad: Is it possibly by today to get a VCS-E option key for the VCS-C of the BE6k?

Kelvin: It all depends on what you have and where you want to go.

I would recommend that you talk to a Cisco Partner to help you designing your solution.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

sorry for late response. I haven't been in the forum for a while.

sure, you can convert VCSC to VCSE by correct license key.

If I have only the BE6K-ST bundle.. I can only make very limited point-point video calls, correct?  No video conferencing, say with 8941 endpoint phone?  How many VCS & VCSE licenses are supported with BE6K-ST bundle?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: