Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1728 antennas

Ivaylo Georgiev
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

We have an issue with an existing deployment in a warehouse. The 1728 antennas are used with Cisco 1240 APs.

1. What is the recommended height for these antennas? I know what the radiation pattern looks like and I figured not higher than 20 ft should be recommended. They are currently mounted at around 30 ft.
  2. It doesn't look like they are spaced properly either, we are going to make sure they are exactly 3x4.92 inches apart.
  3. They are not equally high for some reason. In a pair of two antennas - one is a little higher, which seemed odd. Would there be a benefit of doing so? I think the contractor who mounted them did that for no reason...

Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's typically recommended around 25-30 feet max. I have seen many deployments in the 40-50' with no issue also. It depends in your overlap. Also the spacing is important but pretty difficult to get it exactly spaced apart. The rule of thumb is no further than 3 times the wavelength or 3 times the distance the antenna ports are.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have even used these antennas for the new gen APs on 1242's. the client was going to eventually go with 3602's in a year so these have a single mounting and you can use 2 leads for the 2.4 and 2 leads for the 5ghz.

AIR-ANT2544V4M-R=

-Scott

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It's typically recommended around 25-30 feet max. I have seen many deployments in the 40-50' with no issue also. It depends in your overlap. Also the spacing is important but pretty difficult to get it exactly spaced apart. The rule of thumb is no further than 3 times the wavelength or 3 times the distance the antenna ports are.

-Scott

Scott,

Thanks for your reply! How about the fact that the 2 antennas on each AP are not equally high. Doesn't that break diversity?

By the way, I think you have the coolest nickname ever

Haha... Well I guess it depends on how far if a vertical separation there is. I always like to see the antennas around the same height as the RF pattern can be affected if they are like a few feet separated.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have even used these antennas for the new gen APs on 1242's. the client was going to eventually go with 3602's in a year so these have a single mounting and you can use 2 leads for the 2.4 and 2 leads for the 5ghz.

AIR-ANT2544V4M-R=

-Scott

Cool, I never thought of doing that. So that basically just lowers your MIMO characteristics until you get the new APs?

And by the way, boxes get stacked pretty high in the wirehouse, so maybe lowering the APs would create more problems than it would resolve - I guess that would cause shades all over the place...

It really doesn't change too much, but these have a better down tilt and they do work great with the 1242's:) I have used these in warehouses that have a ceiling around 40'-50' and the product goes all the way up to the rafters. I have also used the patch antennas even though I don't prefer using patches and they also work great. Again, you have a single mounting solution so antenna spacing isn't an issue.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card