cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF-Lite Redundancy

vghaffari
Level 1
Level 1

Currently, I have a single point of failure at my L3 device (Catalyst 4849 10G) that hosts 10 different VRF groups. I'd like to know what the experts recommend in order to mitigate some the risk associated with a single L3 device. The current plan is to procure an additional 4900 series switch for L3 use and ultimatley an additional Nexus 5K for L2 forwarding, but I'm not sure how VRRP, vPC, VSS or any other high availability features would get implemented in my case at the L3 level.

Current system:

I have a L2 Nexus-5ks switch connected to the 4900. Cat 4948 is used to provide L3 routing per VRF-lite group. (Using: cat4500-ENTSERVICESK9-M  Version 15.0(2)SG6) I only use static routes and no route leaking is required/done.

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

Kyle McKay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Vahid,

Your options for HA with your current switch will consist of First Hop Redundancy protocols such as HSRP, VRRP or GLBP. My preference is given to GLBP if you are starting from scratch due to its load balancing behavior.

You would simply configure the protocol on a per-interface basis just as you would in a non-VRF-lite environment.

If you have any specific questions, please fire them off!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco