Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Configuration on Cisco 6500, 4500 Series Switches

jahanzaib amin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need some technical Confirmation regarding SNMP Configuration in Cisco 6500 & 4500 series:

Here is way to configure SNMP on Cisco 4500 series switches and also 3750, 2960 Series of Switches:

Switch(config)#snmp-server enable traps

Switch(config)# snmp-server community cisco rw

Switch(config)# snmp-server host cisco.com version 2c cisco

I Read the Data Sheet for Catalyst 6500 Series of Switches and the SNMP Configuration is this way:

In the following example, SNMP ifIndex persistence is enabled for all interfaces:

router(config)# snmp-server ifindex persist

In the following example, SNMP ifIndex persistence is enabled for Ethernet interface 3/1 only:

router(config)# interface ethernet 3/1

router(config-if)# snmp ifindex persist

router(config-if)# exit

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/ifindx.html

So what is the recommended way either its Globally or Every interface. Because normally we need give the command on Global and which provide

the snmp trap for whole Switch / Router. And another thing I didnt find that where we provide the IP Address of our Monitoirng Server?

So what will be the effect if we apply this command on Global Mode or every Interface Mode?

Thanks,

6 Replies 6

Rolf Fischer
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

So what will be the effect if we apply this command on Global Mode or every Interface Mode?

to my best knowledge, the only difference is the amount of memory needed.

Every single InterfaceName-to-InterfaceIndex Hash requieres 25 bytes in NVRAM.

c6509#dir nvram:ifIndex-table

Directory of nvram:/ifIndex-table

3  -rw-       13748                      ifIndex-table

c6509#more nvram:ifIndex-table

00000000:  0000001F 00000065 00000201 47696761    .... ...e .... Giga

00000010:  62697445 74686572 6E657433 2F323900    bitE ther net3 /29

(...)

And another thing I didnt find that where we provide the IP Address of our Monitoirng Server?

You can define an ACL which only allowes your NMS and apply it to your community commands:

Switch(config)# snmp-server community cisco rw []

Hope that helps

Rolf

Dear Rolf,

Thanks, so we define stand access-list in which we mention the IP Address of our Solar Wind Server.

So here is full script for SNMP enabling on 6500: Please confirm that it is correct or not.

router(config)# snmp-server ifindex persist

router(config)# snmp-server community cisco rw 10

router(config)# access-list 10 permit 10.10.10.80 0.0.0.0

Can you provide some link for this configuration related to 6500?

Thanks,

The Solar Wind Server is the only device which needs to have SNMP-access?

And if no write-access is needed, you can replace the "rw" with "ro" (read only).

What about traps?

You already found the configuration guide, are you looking for something in particular?

If you're looking for SNMP (all platforms), you find a lot of documents here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk648/tk362/tk605/tsd_technology_support_sub-protocol_home.html

c6500 support page:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

Best regards

Rolf

Hello,

Yes Solar wind Monitoring server need snmp enable as RO or RW.

Did my script is correct for enabling SNMP on 6500 ?

Thanks.

Since it's a server for monitoring, I assume that it doesn't need write access.

If so, best practice would be to configure only read access (for security reasons):

router(config)# snmp-server community cisco RO 10

If required, you can configure RO and RW independtly with different communities and/or ACLs.

Obviously you don't have a trap receiver, so your config should be adequate.

Best regards

Rolf

hello jahanzaib,

are you using the NPM of solarwinds? i would like to ask something regarding the wireless summary view.. because in my case.. i dont see any access point in my orion NPM..how did you manage adding node into the npm of the cisco router that you want to send snmp to npm?

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card