cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP 1231 does not join the controller

vladakoci
Level 1
Level 1

I have LWAPP AIR-AP1231G-A-K9 that was moved from one site to the other one. It has now a different IP address taken from DHCP and its former controller does not exist any more.

I am trying to join it to the same kind of controller which is AIR-WLC4402-12-K9 with  7.0.98.0.

However the AP cannot join the controller, first I got these on the controller

0 Wed Jul 3 14:12:56 2013 AAA Authentication Failure for UserName:0014694b3ab2 User Type: WLAN USER

1 Wed Jul 3 14:12:56 2013 Failed to authorize AP with Base Radio MAC 00:14:69:4b:3a:b2. Authorization entry does not exist in Controller's AP Authorization List.

I added the MAC address of the AP into MAC filtering, and now getting these

AAA Authentication Failure for UserName:0014694b3ab2 User Type: WLAN USER

I am reading several discussions, but they seem to be related to mesh OS mismatch.

My AP is for sure not with mesh OS as it was connected to the controller before the move.

System image file is "flash:/c1200-k9w8-mx.124-23c.JA/c1200-k9w8-mx.124-23c.JA"

#sh capwap client config

swVer                   7.0.98.0

Does anyone know what to do to get the AP joined to the controller ?

I had another AP where I tried to reset the LWAPP config - clear lwapp private-config, but this did not help and this AP is now constantly rebooting without allowing me to login. It looks like the only way how to wake it up would be to convert to autonomous and then back to LWAPP which is something I cannot do as I am too far from it.

Thanks,

Vlad

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This has the sounds of a ssc issues. When you converted the ap from autonomous to lwapp a self signed certificate was created. You need to add this hash to the controller.

Read this

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a00806a426c.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This has the sounds of a ssc issues. When you converted the ap from autonomous to lwapp a self signed certificate was created. You need to add this hash to the controller.

Read this

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a00806a426c.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hello George,

Many thanks. I have not converted the AP from autonomous to lwapp, it has been lwapp since the very beginning. We just moved this AP from one site where it was successfully joined the controller as lwapp to other site where I am trying to join the same kind of controller with the same OS, same general settings but different IPs.

I do not understand what could happen to the AP as for sure it was just shipped and not touched IT wise.

Anyway, I will try the excersise described in the link above.

Thanks,

Vlad

I've tried and it works. I realized that I might not have known the history of this AP and it could be that it was sometime autonomous AP and converted some years ago to lwapp.

Many thanks George for your great help.

Vlad

Good deal .. Thanks for supporting the rating system

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App