Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with guest network setup in RV180W

ubiquitous
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm trying to setup a guest network on the RV180W.

Currently have the following VLAN membership set:

"Default" with ID "1" with Inter VLAN routing enabled;

"Guest" with ID "2" with Inter VLAN routing disabled.

Then in the wireless tab I have the following:

SSID "Private" to VLAN "1" enabled;

SSID "Guest" to VLAN "2" enabled.

When I connect to the "Private" I can get on to the Internet. However, when I connect to the "Guest" although in the system tray it says it has Internet connectivity I can't (IP or name resolution).

Is there anything else I need to do for the "Guest" to be a ble to get out?

Thank you.

Rob

12 Replies 12

aunrein
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would just like to ask a couple of questions to better understand the situation. Can VLAN 2 hosts access the Internet when VLAN routing is Enabled for VLAN 2? If the hosts are able to do so, is this configuration acceptable? If not, are you wanting a solution that leaves VLAN 2's Inter VLAN routing Disabled but stills allows VLAN 2's hosts to access the Internet?

Thank you,

Alex

The latter is correct Alex - allow VLAN 2 to access Internet but not resources on VLAN 1. Basically this is for an office (staff) where VLAN 1 is the office and VLAN 2 is for Visitors (guests) to solely access the Internet.

Rob

SamirD
Level 5
Level 5

How is IP address assignment being handled for vlan2?  It sounds like an IP isn't being assigned.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

The IP is by DHCP and I can see IP assigned and the weird thing is I can connect & the sys tray in Win7 shows the white solid bars & also says that it has Internet access.

I did notice that it was configured with the DHCP proxy (I think that was the word) checkmarked. Should the IP address assigned be in a different subnet when I connect to VLAN 1 vs VLAN 2 or is it because of this dhcp proxy setting I will always get the same subnet?

Rob

If you're getting an IP address in the same lan as vlan1, you should be reaching the Internet.  Is there a way to connect to to vlan2 via wired vs wireless?  Then we can eliminate any possible wireless issues.

That makes sense for process of elimination. This is where the tagged/untagged come into play on the ports, correct? How should it be setup? For example my VLAN 1 has ports 1 -4 "untagged" while VLAN 2 has ports 1 - 4 "tagged". Is this the correct way? I think I never understood how tagged/untagged worked ...

The basic is VLAN - staff local network resources & internet resoruces; VLAN 2 is guest Internet with no need for physical ports.

Rob

I think you have to tag only certain ports.  Try doing that and plugging into vlan2 and see what happens.

Thank you - I will try it on Monday. Is there any good post on VLAN & the tagged/untagged setting of RV180W and what it means to untag a port vs tag a port?

Here is an article for the RV180W that discusses tagging on ports. I hope this helps.

Configuration of Inter-VLAN on RV180 and RV180W

Alex

Great little article.  So is the internetworking switch just a static route between the vlans or something more?  Broadcast traffic still won't go between them with this enabled, will it?

Sorry for the late reply. First of all thank you for the article regarding VLAN. Secondly, here's where my mistakes were:

1) I was mistaken that I was getting the IP from the GUEST subnet - I wasn't. I followed the document to change the DHCP setting for the VLAN that the GUEST belongs to.

2) Above alone, even after reboot of the RV180W, did not fix the problem. One of the things that bothered me earlier was that DNS Proxy setting even though in retrospect the name resolution wasn't the root cause earlier since it wasn't getting the correct IP. But I decided to uncheckmark this DNS Proxy and that seemed to do the trick from the GUEST network.

Thank you everyone for the help!

Glad to hear you fixed it!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: