cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is SNMP RW required to get response time?

dahgenegweon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

My friend told me that there is a special function called "PMIB", which is needed for a Cisco switch to ping to its neighbor device

by itself and calculate the response time.

He also said that in order to do this, you need to set the snmp to RW and not RO.

For security purposes, I only want to allow RO, but I believe response time information is quite valuable and do not want to disable this option.

I googled to study more on this "PMIB" function by Cisco, but could not find any useful information regarding it.

Could anyone verify that this function does exist, and if RW is required?

Thank you very much

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think you are talking about Cisco-Ping-MIB. The Ping Group is part of the Cisco proprietary MIB under the Cisco Management branch (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.16.). The Ping Group can be used to set up, perform, and retrieve Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) activity between remote devices from a management station.

Because this Ping group needs to be created and configured on the device, hence you need the RW access as well.

For more details please check:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e8e.shtml

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Vinod Arya
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I think you are talking about Cisco-Ping-MIB. The Ping Group is part of the Cisco proprietary MIB under the Cisco Management branch (.1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.16.). The Ping Group can be used to set up, perform, and retrieve Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) activity between remote devices from a management station.

Because this Ping group needs to be created and configured on the device, hence you need the RW access as well.

For more details please check:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094e8e.shtml

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Thank you so much Vinod Arya!!

It helped a lot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: