Views
Helpful
Replies

CFB Clean Up

mightyking
Level 6
Level 6

Hello NetPros,

We have about 300 sites, 40000+ users, 700+ GWs and 7 clusters. We believe our CFB resources are not adequately distributed. I need to audit all GWs, find available CFB resources, find the number of heads and configure the correct number for Maximum session under dspfarm profile. The assumption is only 5% of the users at a given site will need CFB.

I guess the manual approach would be to go to:

-     Pub of each cluster

-     Open each and every configured Device Pool (1000+)

-     Select the Dependency Record on the right corner of the page

-     Take on note the number of the phones registered to each DP

-     Click on the Conference Bridge on the same Dependency Record page

-     Take the IP address of the GW

-     Log in to the GW, go to dspfarm profile and take on note the maximum session configured

-     Do the calculation for 5% of the users in each site that will need conference

-     Assign the right number to the Maximum sessions under dspfarm profile

Is there any easier way of accopmlishing this task?

Your help would be much appreciated,

MK          

20 Replies 20

Hi.

Try to use RealTime Monitoring Tool and navigate "Performance" --> "Cisco Hardware Conference Bridge" -->> "Resource Available"

This should help

HTH

Regards

Carlo

Please rate all helpful posts

"The more you help the more you learn"

Please rate all helpful posts "The more you help the more you learn"

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One step to add to your manual process above: You need to run the DSP Calculator to see whether the router has sufficient DSP capacity available to even increase the maximum sessions. IOS will allow you to oversubscribe the DSPs so just relying on the range shown when you question mark the max sessions command isn't viable.

As for automating parts of it, a few clever SQL queries from the CLI could probably show you the data you're collecting in the first half of the process. You would need to do a few join statements but I'm not strong enough in SQL to give you a final command. Perhaps one of the others will; if not here is the database dictionary at least.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Thanks Carlos and Jonathan,

Anyone with SQL knowledge or any other automating approach who can make the life easier for me? I really don't want to start the manual process cause it is going to be long and cumbersome.

Thanks,

MK

I skimmed through my notes and modified one query to come up with this:

run sql SELECT COUNT(Device.name) FROM device, devicepool WHERE devicepool.pkid = Device.fkdevicepool AND devicepool.name = "LEC_DP"

This should get you started.

TONY

Thanks Tony,

The output of the SQL query will show the device pools and the devices within the device pool. is that right?

MK

That query shows the count of number of devices in the device pool named "LEC_DP".

I thought you were looking for the count of phones in a given device pool which is what would be returned from the above query.

To find out which phones are under a given device pool you could run this:

run sql SELECT Device.name devicepool.name FROM device, devicepool WHERE  devicepool.pkid = Device.fkdevicepool ORDER BY devicepool.name

Altough its the same info that's provided on the conference bridge page you could get a condensed version of what conference bridge is in what device pool with this query:

run sql SELECT d.name, d.description, dp.name, tp.name FROM device as d, devicepool as dp, typeproduct as tp WHERE dp.pkid = d.fkdevicepool AND d.tkmodel = tp.tkmodel AND tp.name LIKE "%Conference%" ORDER BY tp.name

Thanks for your help Tony,

I don't think with those commands I can accomplish the task mentioned above. It still requires a lot of manual implications.

Followings are the fileds that I need the value for:

Device Pool Name

Media Resource Groupe List

Media Resource Group

Count of IP Phones in each DP

CFB name configured under MRG

Gateway containing the DSP for conferencing (name or IP)

Maximum sessions configured in the dspfarm profile.

MK

It might be worth looking at a tool like Variphy to see whether it could generate the reports you are looking for.

http://www.variphy.com/home

It is a pretty good solution and could be of use managing your CUCM estate in lots of ways.

Tony,

Is there any SQL query which will show the MRGL, MRG and the CFB configured within a given Device Pool?

Also the first command in your second reply displays error message.

Thank,

MK

To find out which phones are under a given device pool you could run this:

run  sql SELECT Device.name, devicepool.name FROM device, devicepool WHERE   devicepool.pkid = Device.fkdevicepool ORDER BY devicepool.name   Looks like I missed a comma there.

To get a listing of all CFBs configured within your system you could run this:

run sql SELECT d.name, d.description, dp.name, tp.name FROM device as d, devicepool as dp, typeproduct as tp WHERE dp.pkid = d.fkdevicepool AND d.tkmodel = tp.tkmodel AND tp.name LIKE "%Conference%" ORDER BY dp.name

To find what MRGL is assigned to a device pool you could run this:

run sql SELECT dp.name, mrgl.name, mrgl.clause FROM devicepool as dp, mediaresourcelist as mrgl WHERE dp.fkmediaresourcelist = mrgl.pkid

A MRGL is just an assignment and order of MRGs which is what the clause will show you.

TONY

Thanks Tony, very usefull :-)

Is there a way we can ajust the last command (MRGL) to see the Conference bridges assigned to each MRG in the same output?

Your help is very much appreciated,

MK   

I would suggest looking through the CUCM Data Dictionary (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/datadict/8_0_1/datadictionary_801.pdf) and learning how to make SQL queries on your own.  It's a good skill to have and you will be able to customize the commands to exactly what you need.

Thanks Brian,

I will definitely do that but for now don't have time to go through about 900 pages.

Thanks,

MK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: