cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tranzeo Radio Not Happy with Cisco Switch (Port Flapping)

vzvonarov1
Level 1
Level 1

We recently bought an SF500-48P 48-Port 10/100 PoE Stackable Managed Switch at work, and it's my job to set it up. I got everything configured the way we need it (pretty basic - mostly just switching it to layer 2, standalone mode, setting a password, date/time, and some basic VLANs), and hooked it up, and everything was working perfectly except for one link. Here's the problem:

Several of the switch ports are connected to wireless, point to point radios. All of them work except one - a tranzeo radio. The radio works perfectly on our old cisco switch, but not on the new SF500-48P. When I connect it to a fast ethernet port, the port starts flapping - it will stay on for a few seconds and go off, as seen in the web interface, and when I run "show int status" over ssh. When it flapps off, it looks pretty much like every other port that has nothing plugged into it:

Flow Link          Back   Mdix

Port     Type         Duplex  Speed Neg      ctrl State       Pressure Mode

-------- ------------ ------  ----- -------- ---- ----------- -------- -------

fa2/3    100M-Copper    --      --     --     --  Down           --     --   

fa2/4    100M-Copper    --      --     --     --  Down           --     -- 

fa2/5    100M-Copper    --      --     --     --  Down           --     --   

when it flapps on, it looks like this:

Flow Link          Back   Mdix

Port     Type         Duplex  Speed Neg      ctrl State       Pressure Mode

-------- ------------ ------  ----- -------- ---- ----------- -------- -------

fa2/3    100M-Copper    --      --     --     --  Down           --     --   

fa2/4    100M-Copper  Full    100   Enabled  Off  Up          Disabled Off   

fa2/5    100M-Copper    --      --     --     --  Down           --     --   

which looks good to me.

The interesting thing is that if I plug the same radio into the G1 port, it works perfectly. The radio's interface is not a gigabit interface.

What could cause a radio to flap on fast ethernet ports, but work fine on a gigabit port, when every other device (including other radios from a different manufacturer) seem to work perfectly well on all the ports? Any ideas?

I've been going through every configuration option in the switch's web interface one by one for hours, trying to figure out if I missed something, but so far no luck.

4 Replies 4

vzvonarov1
Level 1
Level 1

When the radio is plugged into a FastEthernet interface, it's "Packets with Errors" number goes up, but when it's plugged into the G1 interface, it does not (stays at 0). There's no way that can be a hardware issue, right? Any idea what configuration can be causing this?

Still having the same problems. Turns out that the only other Tranzeo radio was also having problems - it was just being a lot more subtle about it. The second tranzeo was dropping packets, and after a few hours it would stop working as well. Moving it to the gigabit port has fixed all issues with it just like with the first one.

This definately doesn't sound like a hardware problem. No one has any idea if there could be any options in a cisco switch's interface that could cause it to drop packets when connected to a radio?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You need to know how the radio port is setup. Is it set as auto or is it hardcoded and then do the same thing on the switch .  You probably have a speed/duplex mismatch on the port due to conflicting interface settings  which cause errors on the port and the switch is probably putting it into a err-disabled state .

That was my first thought. Both the switch's port and the radio are set to auto negotiation. I tried to set them both to 100/Full, but it didn't help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: