Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless setup in a single VLAN environment

Sohail Muhammad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am going to deploy Wireless APs with Wireless LAN Controller at one of my customer office. In the first phase, what they want to use their existing single VLAN infrastructure integrated with Wireless, means they want to extand their LAN on Wireless. They don't want to create any additional VLANs for controller or AP management. WLC and APs will be given static IPs from the user pool, and rest of the users connecting to Wireless will get the IP from the same pool through DHCP. The SSID broadcasted will be mapped to the exisiting VLAN. Just wanted to confirm if using a single VLAN for AP management and as well as a user subnet can have any issue or it is workable?

Regards,

Sohail

2 Replies 2

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sure it will work. Its not best practice.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

No doubt it will work fine. But what about security point of view. If someone knows the IP of WLC or AP he/she may crack the password and can change the setting. It is never recommended.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: