Views
Helpful
Replies

2960-S FlexStack module bandwidth?

emresumengen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm mixed up about the information I find online, about the bandwidth/throughput supported by the FlexStack module.

The datasheet and the whitepaper about the module states that each connection provides 10Gbps of Full Duplex throughput.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps6406/white_paper_c11-578928.html

But, the Cisco Switch Guide says (interestingly) that FlexStack module provides each switch with 40Gbps of throughput...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/switches/ps5718/ps708/networking_solutions_products_genericcontent0900aecd805f0955.pdf

So, as long as there are only 2 ports on the module, I guess the right capacity would be 20Gbps, as opposed to the information on the Switch Guide... Right?

Emre

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no contradiction. FlexStack is actually a dual-port 10 Gbps full duplex module. 10 x 4 = 40 Gbps total throughput per module. Same as saying, 20 Gpbs full-duplex .

Well, at least clearing that out is fine... But, honestly, presenting full-duplex as "twice bandwidth" is nothing but marketing nonsense...

If it was true, those stack links should also be capable of doing 40gbps half-duplex, but they can't.

Anyways, thanks.

But, honestly, presenting full-duplex as "twice bandwidth" is nothing but marketing nonsense...

Data sheet were written by the marketing folks.  They don't know any better.

If it was true, those stack links should also be capable of doing 40gbps half-duplex, but they can't.

Yes, it can only do 10 Gbps full duplex and nothing more than that.

Well said :)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card