cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN client on windows 8

eXPlosion
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using Windows 8 Enterprise with Cisco VPN client 5.0.07.0440 and Aladdin Etoken. When i try to connect to my VPN server i get message: "Could not load certificate ... from store Microsoft User Certificate. Reason: store empty. If you are using a smartcard or token containing a certificate, verify that it is plugged in and try again."

I found on blog that says to use Computer cert store instead of Users store, but when i delete user cert and import in computer store cert, VPN client cannot see any certs from there. The certificate is automatically installed in user store again when i remove and put my etoken in usb again. How to make VPN client use Computer store certificate?

12 Replies 12

eXPlosion
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone has a workaround to this problem?

Do you face the same issue with windows 7?

I am asking this because IPsec VPN client is not supported with Windows 8.

It has never been tested with windows 8 and its not in the roadmap as well.

Jeet Kumar

Windows 7 works with no problems.

Install Citrix Deterministic Network Enhancer to solve Cisco IPSec VPN issue with Windows 8/8.1.

http://www.vmwareandme.com/2013/12/solved-windows-8-and-windows-81-cisco.html#.Us2_4dJDu_E

Regards,

Naresh

No luck, still same error.

As mentioned by Jeet, vpn client on Windows 8 machines is not supported.

You can also use Shrew Soft VPN Client. It works on Win8/8.1.

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

Please rate replies and mark question as "answered" if applicable.

So what did you meant by saying:

Install Citrix Deterministic Network Enhancer to solve Cisco IPSec VPN issue with Windows 8/8.1.

Shrew soft VPN does not support Alladin etoken authentication or i do not notice something.

Xatrix_tolik
Level 1
Level 1

Will be this issue repair by CISCO for Windows 8/8.1?

sc456_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Give TheGreenBow IPSEC VPN Client a try. It supports Windows 8 x64 and eTokens and there is a free trial.

Just got a try greenbow. I'm stuck on IKE phase 1. Getting the error

20140615 18:45:51:749 Default (SA Gateway-P1) SEND phase 1 Main Mode  [SA] [VID] [VID] [VID] [VID] [VID]
20140615 18:45:51:766 Default message_validate_notify: protocol not supported

Should i try different IKE negotiation parameters?

First, try TheGreenBow's online troubleshooter. If that doesn't work, you can try their general support or simply contact them directly.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: