Views
Helpful
Replies

DEBUG AND SHOW???

Anand Solgama
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I guess my question is good!!!! as I havent worked in real world (net. engin) ,so I want to know that when I need to Tshoot any problem in my big network than on that time do I need to know DEBUG plus SHOW commands or I can use "SH RUN" which is my best ????

Means I am very good with sh run but I heard that I need to know all debug and show commands it must !!!!

Pls answer me EXPERTS

Thanks,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mgalazka
Level 1
Level 1

Since debug can have a performance impact, it is best to be avoided if the problem can be resolved without it. In real world scenarios, knowing how to get pertinent information from various show commands is a must. One basic example of this is that a running configuration would show nothing with relation to any dynamically learned routes that could be impacting traffic flow.

View solution in original post

Best way to proceed is to use the show commands and, if you are not able to troubleshoot with them or the issue is complex and dictates the use of debug commands, go ahead with the debug commands. Before you use the debug commands, you should have an understanding and the reason why you are going to proceed with this method. I recommend you to practice doing labs and understanding the outputs. Even though the debugs are intensive, obviously some are much more intensive than others, knowing that will help you as well in order to use the correct heavy artillery.

Best Regards,

Jose.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

mgalazka
Level 1
Level 1

Since debug can have a performance impact, it is best to be avoided if the problem can be resolved without it. In real world scenarios, knowing how to get pertinent information from various show commands is a must. One basic example of this is that a running configuration would show nothing with relation to any dynamically learned routes that could be impacting traffic flow.

Best way to proceed is to use the show commands and, if you are not able to troubleshoot with them or the issue is complex and dictates the use of debug commands, go ahead with the debug commands. Before you use the debug commands, you should have an understanding and the reason why you are going to proceed with this method. I recommend you to practice doing labs and understanding the outputs. Even though the debugs are intensive, obviously some are much more intensive than others, knowing that will help you as well in order to use the correct heavy artillery.

Best Regards,

Jose.

I generally use sh run but I heard that this is not good way to Tshoot so I think better to ask in forum.

Though I know many sh commands like :

sh ip route

sh ip int br

sh ip nat tra

sh cry isa sa

sh cry ip sa

sh ip os ne

sh ip ri da

sh ip ei ne

sh ip bg

sh ip bg su

sh ip bg ne

sh controlle

etc r these enough generally I use but dont know abt real world

in debug like:

debug cry isa

debu cry ipse

deb ip pa

deb ip icm

Generally I use this but never used others like OSPF ,EIGRP debugs I find problems in config

I guess I am ok right !!!!

Thanks for reply ....

I generally use sh run but I heard that this is not good way to Tshoot so I think better to ask in forum.

Though I know many sh commands like :

sh ip route

sh ip int br

sh ip nat tra

sh cry isa sa

sh cry ip sa

sh ip os ne

sh ip ri da

sh ip ei ne

sh ip bg

sh ip bg su

sh ip bg ne

sh controlle

etc r these enough generally I use but dont know abt real world

in debug like:

debug cry isa

debu cry ipse

deb ip pa

deb ip icm

Generally I use this but never used others like OSPF ,EIGRP debugs I find problems in config

I guess I am ok right !!!!

Thanks for reply ....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card