cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Google ChromeCast with WLAN Controller 2504

pleblanc
Level 1
Level 1

I assume that I am not the first person to run in to this and know I won't be the last person but I can't seem to get a Google ChromeCast to work on a WLAN that I set up. The WLAN Consists of an AIR-CT2504-K9 Controller and two AIR-LAP1024N-A-K9 Access Points.

I have 2 different SSIDs one private and one public, they are going through their own VLAN and don't have any issues with any other clients accessing the Internet or other resources on the networks. I verified that P2P is "Disabled" in the Public SSID which is the one we are trying to use.

When I go through the Setup Process the ChromeCast was able to join the Public Network the very first time but was not able to be seen by a client. Since then I did a factory reset the ChromeCast and tried many times to join both the Public and Private Networks with no luck.

I don't have any special security set up on the Public Network other than a Pre-Shared Key which I am positive I am imputting in properly. The ChromeCast just hangs when trying to join the network.

With this in mind I took the ChromeCast to another location with a simple, single access point WLAN Setup and was able to get it to join the network and be seen on the network without any issues.

Just as an FYI - The way that this process works is as follows: When you power up the ChromeCast it sets itself up as a Wireless Device with its own unique SSID. When you set it up your device (laptop in this case) connects to that network so you can configure it. This is where you will set up the new Wireless Network it will join with the credentials you provided. Once your submitted it your device will connect back to the network it was on originally and try to connect to the ChromeCast. As I said the ChoromeCast for whatever reason is not fully connecting to / joining the network and isn't found by the setup app and fails.

Any thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

llathrop
Level 1
Level 1

I fixed this in at least one non-controller setup with: "no ip igmp snooping" and "no bridge-group 1 port-protected"  on the AP.

The problem is actually with multicast and wirelessdevice-to-wirelessdevice communication. They just chose the worst possible error message to communicate that.

View solution in original post

34 Replies 34

llathrop
Level 1
Level 1

apparently chromecast requires upnp to be enabled at the router. If you  keep your eye open during the installation, you will see an error when  joining the network, that leads to a web page that makes this clear. I  am attempting to open a ticket w/google to find a resolution, but so  far, no look

Thanks for the information - I didn't notice anything about UPNP needed to be available for the install to complete. How about if I would set up the ChromeCast using a simple Wireless Network using the same credentials as the network it will ultimately be on? I would assume it would authenticate one it powers up. Does it still need UPNP to be avilable once it joins the network? I will give it a shot as a workaround and let you know.

Good luck with Google Support - So far they have been very slow to respond and believe me the responses I've gotten has been anything but helpful.

pleblanc
Level 1
Level 1

Just as an FYI / Continuation of this issue / troubleshooting, I set up the ChromeCast with a simple Access Point using the same credentials as the network it will be joining at the original location. The ChromeCast is able to connect to the network but nothing can see it / talk to it even though I have P2P communication set up (I can ping between two laptops on the same WLAN / SSID). I am at a loss now.

I've e-mailed Google a few times and haven't received anything back from them. I guess they assume everyone has a simple network set up / configuration. Of course my customer is getting very unhappy =(

alexander.ynema
Level 1
Level 1

I too am having the same issue. I've managed to get it to connect to my wireless SSID using my phone to initially fake the SSID then switching my cisco back on and it successfully connects to my wireless & I can ping the Chromecast but it doesn't seem to be functional.

I'm guessing it needs to utilise upnp to do some network trickery that isn't working with Cisco. I've tried speaking to Google & lodged a ticket but haven't had any response from them regarding the problem.

Cheers

llathrop
Level 1
Level 1

I fixed this in at least one non-controller setup with: "no ip igmp snooping" and "no bridge-group 1 port-protected"  on the AP.

The problem is actually with multicast and wirelessdevice-to-wirelessdevice communication. They just chose the worst possible error message to communicate that.

You sir are a champion.

I've now got it working with my 887VA-W I did have the no ip igmp snooping but not the port-protected bit.

llathrop, "no ip igmp snooping" on an autonomous 1142 worked for me. Thanks!

Thank you so much; that solved my problem with the Cisco Aironet 1130.

It explains why my Nexus 5 was not able to reach the Chromecast; the communication between those devices.

Daniel.

This was amazing. Perfect white paper that answered all my questions and helped me create a new WLAN/SSID in minutes to get my multiple chromecasts up and running!

Cisco WLC2504 & 2x AIR-CAP2602E-A-K9

This has worked really well for me, however I have issues with the Chromecasts staying connected for an extended period of time. I try to cast tabs to show information in my office, but after 30-60mins they always drop. This never happens when I'm showing a movie or youtube videos on Chromecasts on my network at home. It has something to do with the setup of the LWAPs and Controller.

Using: AIR-CT2504-K9 + AIR-CAP2602E-A-K9 (x4)

Same here, just now, fixed an issue with ChromeCast. Had to turn off IGMP snooping. Worked right away after that. 

thefranmanatt
Level 1
Level 1

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3wAyr2LZ1NXcTZrQWpXdjBnZ2c/edit?usp=sharing

CCNP - Wireless
CWNA and CWAP

CCNP - Wireless
CWNE #136

jasonwirz
Level 1
Level 1

I got this working on my 2106 controller after talking to buddy at Google

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807cc3b8.shtml

Change the AP mode from local to H-REAP/Flexconnect and then enable local switching in the advanced options of the WLAN. Something in the local mode tunneling prevents client to client communication. Dumping the traffic on the wire seems to get around this

In addition to "no ip igmp snooping" on a 1250 (Which I already set for enabling Bonjur for printing to the network printer from a Mac), I also had to set "no bridge-group 1 port-protected" on  "interface Dot11Radio0.1"

I can now see the chromecast and stream, but it regularly "disappears" in the apps. I am new to configuring Cisco routers and need some advice. Is there a good way to debug this issue? I'm thinking the multicast is not quite working as intended because even when the chromecast disappears and reappears, my continuous ping stream to the chromecast from a laptop never skips a beat.

Thanks,

Brandon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: