Views
Helpful
Replies

5508 DHCP doesn't work unless proxy is enabled

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

On a 5508 running 7.4.100 connected to a core L3 switch, we cannot get DHCP to wlan clients unless the controller proxy is enabled.

The vlans on the core switch that correspond to the wlans defined on the controller all have ip helper addresses for the DHCP server and the access-lists are setup correctly to allow DHCP. But those access lists are not getting any hits for DHCP.

The topology is all vlans L2 to the core L3 switch. Controller connected directly to the L3 core.

Can someone tell me where the problem is?

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

where is your ACL applied & can you post ACL to refer ?

Hi,

Thank you for replying. The acls are on the core switch and look like this for dhcp

permit udp any eq bootpc any eq bootps

I opened a TAC case on this and I believe we identified an issue. The core switch had ip helper addresses on the vlans defined for the wireless access which may have interefered when the proxy was disabled.

We are going to test this soon.

Good to hear that...let us know cause & the fix once your testing completed.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

The Cisco WLC is not exactly a DHCP relay. It does change the DHCP discover from broadcast to unicast, but it stays in the same subnet . So FirstSpot visitor's interface, the WLC interface and all wireless clients are in the same subnet (10.20.7.0) and also in the same layer 2 vlan.

Hope this will help you.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We are still working this case. I'll post the final resolution once we achive success.

Most recently we added a dns entry for the virtual interface 1.1.1.1 and re-added the ip helper addresses on the core switch. Unfortunately, that did not resolve the issue.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card