Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ip routing protocol purge interface command not taking

Hi,

ip routing protocol purge interface command is not taking on cisco 3845 router, but I am able to put the command on 7204vxr

Pls suggest any H/w dependency / IOS bug / IOS dependency is present on 3845 router for enabling the command

9 Replies 9

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Subhojit,

The support for this command is generally present only on service provider-grade routers and IOSes. If your 3845 does not support this command then the feature is simply not present in that IOS. However, do not worry too much about this. You would need to have a large routing table on your 3845 to see any benefit from using this command. The functionality of your router is not impaired in any way.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi,

Thanks for you details

However can u pls confirm whether I need to upgrade the IOS

present IOS : c3845-advipservicesk9-mz.124-15.T16.bin

Hello Subhojit,

If you are not experiencing any issues and the router works in a stable and efficient manner for you then I see no reason to upgrade your IOS. I have checked your IOS version - while there are updates, this version has not been marked as having any grave problem, and so if you are not experiencing any issues yourself, then I see no reason to upgrade. With routers, the general rule is: "If it isn't broken, don't fix it".

Best regards,

Peter

Hi,

We are enaling MPLS on this router in out Internal MPLS Cloud & same commands needs to be updated for faster propagation of the route.

So, I am just looking for the info

Hello Subhojit,

How many entries in the routing table does the 3845 have? Would you mind posting the show ip route summary output command please?

Best regards,

Peter

Hi,

P routing table name is Default-IP-Routing-Table(0)

IP routing table maximum-paths is 16

Route Source    Networks    Subnets     Overhead    Memory (bytes)

connected       0           4           324         512

static          0           0           0           0

ospf 64907      0           239         20448       30592

Intra-area: 239 Inter-area: 0 External-1: 0 External-2: 0

NSSA External-1: 0 NSSA External-2: 0

bgp 64907       0           0           0           0

External: 0 Internal: 0 Local: 0

internal        2                                   2296

Total           2           243         20772       33400

Removing Queue Size 0

P routing table name is Default-IP-Routing-Table(0)

IP routing table maximum-paths is 16

Route Source    Networks    Subnets     Overhead    Memory (bytes)

connected       0           4           324         512

static          0           0           0           0

ospf 64907      0           239         20448       30592

Intra-area: 239 Inter-area: 0 External-1: 0 External-2: 0

NSSA External-1: 0 NSSA External-2: 0

bgp 64907       0           0           0           0

External: 0 Internal: 0 Local: 0

internal        2                                   2296

Total           2           243         20772       33400

Removing Queue Size 0

Hi Subhojit,

You have around 243 entries in your routing table. Even if your router supported the ip routing protocol purge interface command, the speedup would be negligible (in orders of milliseconds, tens of milliseconds perhaps). I see no reason to worry about this.

Best regards,

Peter

hi,

Thanks for your continous guidance. i know performace will not be improved on greater level

But, as per our organization current standard for MPLS, I need to enable the command

Can you pls guide/help me with the IOS version what I need to upgrade for enabling the feature

Many Thanks,

Subhojit

Hello Subhojit,

I was unable to find any specific name for the ip routing protocol purge interface feature so I was unable to look it up under Cisco Feature Navigator. Not even Configuration Guides seem to cover this feature. The only more exact reference about this command is located in Command References that appear to suggest that this command is integrated in various 'S' trains of IOS. However, those trains are service provider trains and none of them is available for 3845. While there were certain release notes documents even for 15.xM (mainline) releases that mentioned this command, there is no enough information to know whether this command is or will be ever supported on the 3845.

My best recommendation would therefore be to test the latest 15.1(3)T3 Advanced IP Services IOS for 3845 but if there is no such command available in that IOS, then for this platform, there simply appears to be no IOS supporting this feature.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card