cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to simulate bandwidth usage?

teerawat0810
Level 1
Level 1

I have been asked from my boss to calculate network bandwidth usage.

Network diagram is something like this.

Site A Bandwidth: 12 MBx2

Users: 1500

Site B Bandwidth: 8 MBx2

Users: 200

Site C Bandwidth: 10 MBx2

Users: 200

| |

| |

| |

Domestic DataCenter

| |

| |12 MBx2 lines

| |

Main company in abroad

Every site connects to Company datacenter which links to Main datacenter in abroad.

Question is if 1900 users have to open the same company portal page size=500kb every morning  druing 8:00-9:00 am.

How much bandwith from each site will be used from domestic(each site Site A,B,C Domestic Data center) to abroad?

What software or program that will help me to find the answer? Or can I use 500kb x users? Or using network traffic simulator program?

4 Replies 4

Multiplying 500kb x users isn't going to be accurate. A basic SNMP capable monitoring tool should give you what you need. If you only need to monitor one interface, I think Solarwinds has some free apps you can download that will provide the counters you want.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

If this posts answers your question or is helpful, please consider rating it and/or marking as answered.

Thanks for your answer. I will try to download free app from Solarwinds to do this.

Bandwidth usage is not direct and simple, and nothing in device has direct answer for this. It is formula which has couple of components to calculate it, and thats very simple as well.

Why NMS tools are efficient in doing it is because they can do it frequently and continuously when it comes to showing correct picture of Networks devices and thier bandwidth usage.

To help you understand this better, fortunately Cisco has a document on How To Calculate Bandwidth Utilization Using SNMP:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a008009496e.shtml

-Thanks

-Thanks Vinod **Rating Encourages contributors, and its really free. **

Hi VinodArya,

Thanks for your answer.

Could you give me some sameple formula for calculating the above my question?

I've read Cisco site but still not understand about that formula.

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: