cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV320 degrading performance

lancorp_dm
Level 1
Level 1

I have a new RV320 with the latest firmware.

The problem that I'm having is the RV320 will work fine for days, then, performance starts to decline and then it stops functioning, requiring a power reset.

I keep a ping monitor gadget on my desktop that watches ping times to various targets.  I keep it set to watch 3 ISP DNS servers, my RV320 (LAN side) and my cable modem (connected to WAN1).

Normally, ping times to RV320 and cable modem average 0-1ms.  My ISP's DNS (COX) is around 9ms.

When things start to go south, the ping times to the RV320 and modem are much higher and erratic.  There will be ping errors (times when there is no traffic passing for seconds at a time). 

This morning, I noticed this behavior and then the RV320 just stopped routing.  The admin interface stopped responding and there was no internet access.  Pings were down on all interfaces.  Packet loss percentages are rising before the total loss:

8-5-2013 6-00-24 AM.jpg

after power resetting the RV320, this is the more normal ping screen:

8-5-2013 6-27-47 AM.jpg

Is this a bad RV320 or a firmware bug?  Ideas?

Thanks.

32 Replies 32

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Darryl,

Thank you reaching Small Business Support Community.

I understand you run the latest firmware release v. 1.1.0.09, if not please upgrade to;

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284005929&softwareid=282465789&release=1.1.0.09&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest&i=rm

I'd suggest you to disable, if not needed, all the VPN Passthrough options and check on results.  If still the same then try to disable the firewall services not needed and try again. Something else is to try is to disable the Discovery-Bonjour from the System Management menu. If still no better I would like to know if you have a dual WAN connection setup, if so please describe the configuration and also, if you have some VPN configuration please let me know about it too.

Thank you for your time and patience and I will be looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Thanks for the follow up.

Yes, I am using the latest firmware.  I updated the day I bought it (about 2 weeks ago).

It happens about every 2-3 days.  All the sudden, I notice my ping monitors showing very erratic times to my ping destinations (external DNS and the router itself and cable modem).  Then, erratic packet loss, even to the router (over the LAN).  Then, ultimately, a "flat-line" no ping response from anything.  My PC is direct connected into the back of the RV320 so it bypasses other switches, etc.  Power cycle the RV320, everything is clean and ping times are consistent and fast.

Regarding VPN Passthrough--they are all enabled at the moment (default). I have site-to-site IPSEC tunnels setup.  If I disable IPSec passthrough, will it affect the tunnels or is it only for clients?

Regarding firewall services, I only have a few (SMTP, HTTPS, Remote Desktop and Crashplan) ports open.  That's it.  They are all needed and I can't disable them.

I can try the discovery-Bonjour setting.  I don't really have much in the way of Apple stuff that uses Bonjour.  I do have a couple Apple Airport Extreme's and an Apple TV on the LAN side. 

Dual-WAN?  Nope.

So, the fact that I drop packets and ultimately cannot contact the LAN side of the router does point the finger at the router.  Something is causing a deterioration of it's functionality.

Let me know about the VPN passthrough with regards to it and tunnels.

Thanks.

I have the same exact problem, im guessing its an issue in the new firmware. i am going to try and downgrade the firmware and see what happens. cisco needs to fix this asap, or im returning this device

In my situation im using 2 vpn tunnels both gateway to gateway,

so if this is site A, i have a tunnel From site A to Site B and from site A to Site C.

im also not using bonjour and i do have some firewall ports open for our sip providor and PBX vendor along with an NVR (security Camera server) and our 2X server(rdp).

and i am not using dual wan.

janti cray wrote:

In my situation im using 2 vpn tunnels both gateway to gateway,

so if this is site A, i have a tunnel From site A to Site B and from site A to Site C.

im also not using bonjour and i do have some firewall ports open for our sip providor and PBX vendor along with an NVR (security Camera server) and our 2X server(rdp).

and i am not using dual wan.

It's not clear from your post, but are you reporting you are having similar issues to mine?  I didn't see where you were reporting a problem.  If someone else is having the same issue, we might have a firmware issue?

Jeffrey Rodriguez Segura wrote:

Dear Darryl,

Thank you reaching Small Business Support Community.

I understand you run the latest firmware release v. 1.1.0.09, if not please upgrade to;

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=284005929&softwareid=282465789&release=1.1.0.09&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest&i=rm

I'd suggest you to disable, if not needed, all the VPN Passthrough options and check on results.  If still the same then try to disable the firewall services not needed and try again. Something else is to try is to disable the Discovery-Bonjour from the System Management menu. If still no better I would like to know if you have a dual WAN connection setup, if so please describe the configuration and also, if you have some VPN configuration please let me know about it too.

Thank you for your time and patience and I will be looking forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

I wanted to update on this information.  I disabled the VPN Passthrough and the Bonjour discovery but it didn't seem to make a difference.

This morning, I was noticing my web browsing was slowing down.  I checked my ping monitors (which run continually) and noticed when there was major lag (long delays waiting for a site to display), the ping monitors were showing PING ERROR.  Here is a screen shot of my ping monitors during such a time this morning.  The red lines (pointed to by the arrows) are completely dropped packets.  Also, notice the "M" number for each ping destination.  It's the maximum ping time to that destination over the monitoring period.  The current ping monitor period had only been maybe 15 minutes (I had just reset it).

As you can see, the max ping times are VERY HIGH.  Also the red line is long and is equivalent to about 15 seconds of completely dropped packets.

I should also note that my PC is plugged DIRECTLY into one of the LAN ports on the RV320 in order to bypass any other switch issues.

Also notice that I am monitoring my local LAN server (SBS2011).  No delay on that.  ONLY on destinations that include or go through the RV320.

HELP!!!  Prior to the RV320 I was using a Netgear SRX5308.  No problems with it except for the fact that it has fans in it and was very noticeable in my small room.  I sold it to a client and bought the silent RV320, but this problem is killing me.  HELP!!!

Hi Darryl,

Please contact the Small Business Support Center and speak with an engineer.  The phone numbers for your area are located here: https://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Regards,
Cindy Toy
Cisco Small Business Community Manager
for Cisco Small Business Products
www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport
twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

Hi Jeffrey,

I have the same problem....with two different brand new RV320s...when plugged directly into my cable modem with the WAN (WAN1) port, after having changed the bandwidth to the maximum figures, without any firewall services, I get the following (WAN 1 inactive) and traffic will not pass except at a very slow rate.  None of the advanced features are inabled like VPNs or subnets or anything other than the basic configuration....can you help please?

thanks

Rob

@Robert - This is not the same issue that the OP is reporting.

Robert, this is not the same issue.  The latency and dropped packet problems occur regularly (almost every 24 hours in my case) and WAN1 does not show inactive. 

To get the proper help on your problem, you may want to create your own thread and post your details there.

chrisgsmi
Level 1
Level 1

We are experiencing this same issue with our new RV320 (Firmware 1.1.0.09)

After about 24hrs of use, network latency increases until the connection is essentially unusable and a reboot is required.

We are using WAN1 only, which is connected to a Cisco DPC3825 cable modem/router in bridge mode.

We have had to disconnect the RV320 and revert to using the modem in router mode until this is resolved.

Good to hear it's not just me.

So, CISCO, what's the deal?  A couple of others with the same issue as myself.  As Chris mentioned, after about 24 hours it does start to degrade, and a power reset fixes the problem for another day or so.

I've recently installed a Netgear UTM9S and no problems with it after 24 hours, so I know it's not me.  The Netgear isn't the best solution for me, so I'm probably returning it, but it's nice to know the problem lies with the RV320, not my network.

Sure, I can call the "local" Cisco support, but what's the purpose?  Seems like we need a firmware update to fix this.

Hi Darryl,

The best thing to do is to contact the small business center and open a case.  Opening a case will give the product teams visibility to the issue so that they can work on a resolution.

Regards,
Cindy Toy
Cisco Small Business Community Manager
for Cisco Small Business Products
www.cisco.com/go/smallbizsupport
twitter: CiscoSBsupport

Regards, Cindy If my response answered your question, please mark the response as answered. Thank you!

chrisgsmi
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: