Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

New CUCM 8.6 installation with Upgrade licensing from 4.2

Unanswered Question
Aug 5th, 2013
User Badges:

We are currently running CallManager 4.2 on MCS-7825s that are EOL.  We purchased new upgrade licensing and new Cisco supported HP servers to run CUCM 8.6.  We want to start all over and not bring any of the configuration from the old system.  We would like to bring up the new environment without affecting the 4.2 system to minimize downtime.  My question is, can we install 8.6 new on new hardware with upgrade licensing, and have the licensing be active?  Do we have to touch the old environment at all?  Do we have have to run some sort of upgrade tool on the 4.2 environment to determine phone counts.  The less we touch the 4.2 environment the better as it is in a fragile state.

Thank you

Rafael                

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Aman Soi Mon, 08/05/2013 - 09:59
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony

Hi Rafael,

In Call manager 4.2 , all licenses were paper based.

As far as I know, for new 8.x licenses , u can take snapshot of what all phones are configured and regsitered in Call manager 4.2 and share them with licensing team.They can provide u with new licenses.

Secondly, for taking backup u can run DMA tool but again I remember it supports upto version 7 only.

regds,

aman

Chris Deren Mon, 08/05/2013 - 10:55
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony, Contact Center, Unified Communications

Aman is correct on the license upgrade process (+5), you will need to work with cisco licensing team to obtain the proper licenses for the new system.

Is there a reason you are going to version 8 rather than 9? With 9 licensing is changed as enterprise license manager is introduced to track what you actually bought, with version 8 to 9 migration you will need to go through another process again.

HTH,

Chris

Aman Soi Tue, 08/06/2013 - 19:40
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 IP Telephony

Hi Chris,

thanks for the rating but u missed it.

regds,

aman

Chris Deren Wed, 08/07/2013 - 06:55