Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Firmware Rescue Utility - Password? - SOLVED

MaestroMroj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I recently bricked my RV042 because of lost connection during updating firmware via HTTP so after some hours of searching I found official

Firmware Rescue Utility for V03 HW (http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282414010&softwareid=282465800&release=4.0.0.7&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest). Everything finished successfully and now I am able to connect to the router via HTTPS again so it looks like that firmware is now fine BUT WHAT IS THE USERNAME AND PASSWORD after that recovery??? Itried EVERYTHING... Combinations of usernames {admin, root} and passwords {admin, root, 123, 1234, 12345} even blank fields and login is impossible although on every RV042 manual is written, that defaul login is "admin" and "admin". Please help me...

7 Replies 7

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

Try your old username and password from your previous config.  If those don't work try resetting the device by holding the reset button for at least 30 seconds. 

You can also try cisco/cisco to try and get in.

Let me know how that goes,

Christopher Ebert

---

Network Support Engineer - Cisco Support Center

Thanks for Your reply Christopher, but I tried old login yesterday. Old username was definitely "root" so I don't know if there is possible some conflict with built-in Linux default root user. And today I also tried every combination with Cisco. And I still can't log in. Router was reset yesterday after recovery I had the same idea... The values given to the Firmware Rescue Utility were IP: 192.168.1.1 and Password: admin (default values). So now I am lost and I don't know what to do...

See if you can log in via telnet.  There's a way to enable telnet, but I think it may require logging in first.

Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

I tried it, but I am not able to connect to the router via telnet nor SSH. I also tried enabling URL /sysinfo123.htm with parameters but I think that itis for old HW version. I just tried every password on this site:

http://rancidtaste.hubpages.com/hub/CISCO-Router-Password-Default-Password-for-CISCO-Router and still can't log in. I also tried reflash firmware again and everything is the same. I can't understand what happend and why isn't password reset after recovery. It's strange and annoying. Curious is, that when I try combinations like "admin" "admin" or "admin" without password etc, webpage refresh and no message is displayed. But if I type "root" and" 12345" for example it throws me "Incorrect Username or Password. Please try again." message. I am still in big trouble with this issue.

This is probably more work than you want to do, but try the recovery again.  Maybe that will bring it back to life.

I tried it it is definitely lost... Damned router. Everything should be fine after reflashing firmware...

UPDATE: I finally solved this problem. It is very strange, but it happend because of Opera browser. I use Opera as my default browser, but it was impossible to log in to the router with right username and password although that I deleted all 192.168.1.1's cookies and tried even privacy mode.

But in Internet Explorer, everything worked fine, so:

Default username is admin and default password is also admin, just use Internet Explorer.

After update to last RV0xx firmware (4.2.2.08) is working log in also in Opera browser. So problem solved, just be careful about this issue.

Ah, so simple!  I guess I should've suggested that first.  I also use Opera and run into issues once in a while.  I keep portable versions of Chrome and Firefox handy.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: