Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS - Fundamental question

madhu_g1985
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am trying to understand cisco QoS techniques. I came to know that queueing techniques is used(or comes alive) only when you experience conjestion on your network. Here I am a little confused with a few scenarios in front of me. I am trying to post them in the best way I can describe.

Suppose you have a 30 Mbps link. I have defined 3 classes of traffic

a. Voice - 50 % Bandwidth - Priority

b. Applications : 25% Bandwidth

c. Best Effort : remaining with WFQ

Case 1: Is queing techniques applies to the buffer of my interface here ? If so what is the size of the buffer - 30 Mbps ?

Case 2 : You are not expereincing conjestion at all. eg :-  We are using only 15 Mbps of the link.

Do we have any sort queuing happening at this moment ?

Case 3 : You are expereincing congestion.   Cause of the congestion is application traffic.  As soon as the buffers start filling up, do queing limit my applications traffic to just 20 % of my link though there is no other traffic is alive at this moment ?

Please answer. If some one can share a good url to understand these as well is very much appreciated.

Thank you

Madhu.

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Case 1 - depends on the device and how it's configured.

Case 2 - depends on "how" you're using 15 Mbps.  What "using" often means is a measured capacity over some time period.  Your 15 Mbps could be the result of severe congestion to no congestion.

Case 3 - depends on configuration of QoS features

The above probably doesn't help you much, as actual instances depends so much on a device's QoS capabilities/features and how it has been configured.

It might help you to realize congestion is anytime a frame/packet transmission cannot be immediately started.

QoS, logically, most often is how you manage any congestion.  When managing congestion, your policies generally address frame/packet prioritization and/or frame/policy drop management.  NB: Some QoS policies, such as policing, can impact traffic even when there's no congestion.  Some QoS policies, such as shaping, can create artificial congestion.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: