cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN:Does the access port drop the frame when it received a frame with tag?

312038477a
Level 1
Level 1

The tag in the frame(vlan id)is in accord with the access port vlan id. The situation like one site is trunk mode port but another side is access mode port

3 Replies 3

Vignesh Rajendran Praveen
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI Ti Huang,

Yes offcourse, it gets dropped. The concept of tagging is used so that a single interconnect (trunk) may be used to transport data for various VLANs and tagged frames get dropped at access ports.

***********Plz do rate this post if you found it helpful*************************

Thanks & Regards,

Vignesh R P

HI Vignesh R P,

Thank you! Some vender like HuaWei will accept the frame with tag in the access port if the tag vlanID is the same to the access vlanID.So,I am not sure CISCO will drop or not before you reply to me.

Best Regards,

Ti Huang

Hi Vignesh,

I respectfully disagree.

Access ports, under circumstances, do accept tagged frames. The reason for this is the presence of 802.1p CoS priority bits in the 802.1Q VLAN tag. If a sender needs to perform Layer2 QoS marking, the only way to do it on Ethernet is to tag the outgoing frame and express the frame's priority in the CoS bits.

Older Catalyst switches such as 2950 happily accept tagged frames on access ports if the VLAN ID in the tag is either 0 or equal to the access VLAN of the port. Newer Catalysts such as 2960 or 3560 accept tagged frames on access ports only if there is a voice VLAN configured on the port, and in such case, tagged frames are accepted if the VLAN ID in the tag is set either to 0, access VLAN or the voice VLAN.

This behavior is not well documented - it may be necessary to test it in a lab.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card