cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to track down STP issues with SG300-52 and SG300-28 - password of debug-mode debug command?

mmuellerde
Level 1
Level 1

Hello *,

actually I'm trying to track down and identify serious STP loop problems at my SG300-xy switch tree.

For further investigation I would like to use the debug-mode of the CLI but unfortunately the

debug

command of the debug-mode is password protected. I always get "Enter DEBUG Password: ******" :-((

Could anybody please help out with the debug password of the SG300-xy switches with firmware 1.3.0.62 please?

Thank you very much in advance for your help and response!

Best regards
Matthias

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Matthias, the debug is for engineer purpose only, it has no practical usage.

Also if you do manage to go to the debug console it is unsupported.

I am not sure how you can have a spanning tree loop as spanning tree shuts down redundant links. So I am guessing you're either using MSTP and incorrectly labeled regions or added an incorrect vlan or those switches are connecting in to a device which is not STP enabled and causing forwarding issues that way.

Quite honestly if you have a network loop that's so bad, the best thing to do is unplug 1 wire at a time until you see which link caused it.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

Hi Matthias, this is not an IOS device. The debug does not work like this.

If you want to log in to the debug the password is debug.

Again, this is unsupported and can void any warranty.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Matthias, the debug is for engineer purpose only, it has no practical usage.

Also if you do manage to go to the debug console it is unsupported.

I am not sure how you can have a spanning tree loop as spanning tree shuts down redundant links. So I am guessing you're either using MSTP and incorrectly labeled regions or added an incorrect vlan or those switches are connecting in to a device which is not STP enabled and causing forwarding issues that way.

Quite honestly if you have a network loop that's so bad, the best thing to do is unplug 1 wire at a time until you see which link caused it.

-Tom

Hello *,

even while the debug mode may be "unsupported" it isn't possible to simply pull the plugs to analyze STP problems.

So I'm still looking forward to any option how to enter the SG300-xy debug mode by providing a valid password to the debug command at CLI of firmware release 1.3.0.62 and to evaluate what subset of SG300-xy debug options will work for now with most recent firmware.

Any hint is greatly appreciated!

Best regards
Matthias

Hi Matthias, this is not an IOS device. The debug does not work like this.

If you want to log in to the debug the password is debug.

Again, this is unsupported and can void any warranty.

-Tom

Hello Tom,

ok, many thanks. If it voids guarantee I better won't touch the debug engine.

Then let's discuss discovering and resolving STP issues of my SG300-52 switch installation.

I'll later come back with a seperate posting on my recent STP issues.

Best regards
Matthias

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X