Views
Helpful
Replies

SG300-10P Severe static when using headset on VOIP phone

clarkm200602
Level 1
Level 1

Here is my situation.

We have a Cisco throughout the facility, but the two locations where we are using the SG300-10P we have an issue with headsets attached to our Cisco 7945 phones.Attached to any other of our switches (mostly Catalyst 3560E series) there are zero issues with the same phone/headset combo.

We are using various model Plantronics headsets on our phones.  When the phone is attached to the SG300-10P switch, using the headset causes severs static on both ends of the conversation.  The static goes away if the microphone is muted..  There are no issues if the same phone is moved to one of our other POE switches (Catalyst 3560)

Has anyone seen this issue before?  Is there a solution?  There are 2 firmware versions for the SG300 and either of them does not affect this issue in any way.

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Michael, if you power the phone with an external power adapter does it follow? If you remove the headset and use the handset, is there static?

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Thanks Tom for responding.  It turns out it's a specific model Plantronics headset in combination with the SG300-10P switch that causes the static.  I tried a different model today and there was no noise issue.  My headset still works fine with the same phone when it's plugged into the Catalyst 3560E-48 POE switch.

I unfortunately do not have a power adapter for our phones.

Hi Michael that is interesting. My train of thought may be something to do with power consumption or something along those lines. Does the different headset have a different power rating or anything like that?

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X