cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Need some help getting started with Mobility Services Engine

spfister336
Level 2
Level 2

Someone has ordered several 3602 access points, a 5508 controller, and a MSE 3310 for one of our remote locations. The access points and controller are in place and are working fine (we use lightweight APs at many other locations), but I'm not sure how to approach the MSE. I've gone through the set up, and it's onsite, on the network, and I've added it to our WCS server. It's got a 2000 user context-aware services license. But I'm not sure where to go from here. It doesn't seem to actually be doing much of anything. Is there some quick start guide as to where to go from this point? The wireless users are mostly mini netbooks and iPads.

7 Replies 7

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4

Well, I'm no expert, but I did spend the night...

Ok.  In the WCS on the Services tab, Mobility Services, your MSE is recognized and reachable with matching SW Versions.

So, on the home tab, ContextAware tab, you see your MSE and it is showing Zero's  for data in most if not all fields?

Back to the Services tab, Synchronize Services...  is this empty?

The MSE can only 'SEE' what you tell it to 'LOOK' at.  That is, buildings and floor areas.  I haven't tried just a building.

Check the left hand box for all the floor areas of interest.  Scroll to the bottom an slect 'Change MSE Assignment"

select which (of the many or the one) MSE you wish to have monitor the area.  Check the 'CAS' box and save.

Up on the upper levt is a Synchronization block..  push the Synchronize button and sit back..

All MSE data is presented only to the WCS (or Pi).

Good Luck

David

David Ritter
Level 4
Level 4

PS..  don't feel bad.  I had to open a TAC  because I upgraded my MSE ver to the newest, before realizing it could not exceed that of the WCS and had to downgrade it..  garbled a file.

Obviously, if you don't have any of your facilities mapped into the WCS, you need to do so to make use of the MSE.

David

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

Have you taken a look on this get started guide ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/mse/3310/quick/guide/MSE10_c5.html

follow the initial configuration from there!!

Thanks for all the responses...

The WCS is version 7.0.230.0

The MSE is version 7.0.201.204...

do they need to match?

No they don't, but your WLC version has to be compatible with your WCS and MSE.  Since you have the 3602's, I'm guessing your WLC is on version 7.2 or later which isn't compatible with the WCS and MSE version you have.  You would have to upgrade to Prime Infrastructure 1.3 and your MES would also have to be upgraded.

See the matrix: 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the help... if the WLC is 7.2.110.0 and the WCS gets upgraded to Prime Infrastructure 1.3, what version do I need for the MSE? I wasn't sure from the compatibility matrices.

Hello,

Its Recomended to go for MSE Version 7.5 as it is already released else you can also go with MSE 7.4.

Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card