cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Points Joining 3850 next generation switches

Rob Johnson
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's my understanding that APs can join 3850s if and only if the APs are directly connected to ports on the 3850 next generation device.

Can someone point me to where this is explained?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just to add, FlexConnect isn't part of converged access as the AP's terminate directly to the 3850's so there is no need for FlexConnect.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

30 Replies 30

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well you need to make sure the 3850 is also a MC and has license.

-Scott

Scott, Can you point me to where it's documented that the APs need to be connected directly to one of the ports off that switch?

Here is configuring mobility controller

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3.2_0_se/mobility/configuration_guide/b_mobility_32se_3850_cg_chapter_01000.html#d4955e252a1635

-Scott

is there any update now to this problem? I see that this post is 2 years old. is there any development after this? i have aironet 2600 CAPs scattered all over a building that am planning to connect to LAN BASE 3850 PoE switches and i have 3850 IP base as core switch to which the 3850 LAN base switches will be connected [back bone connection]. Will it b possible to make MC work in this scenario now? The AP licenses are installed on the core switch with  the IP base feature.

In your case if all AP connect to a 3850 (MA), then they can register to it using licence available on 3850 as MC.

HTH

Rasika

Thank you Rasika, but am still not clear:  the LAN Base 3850 PoE switch has MA by default?  and access points connected to this can register onto the IP base 3850 switch which is acting as core switch and on which the AP licenses are installed? i.e. pass through is possible?

In converged Access, License will be on MC can be anywhere in your network. Once AP connected to MA 3850 at your access layer, it will get license from MC & register that AP to MA.

You can refer this post, in that I have used 5760 as MC, but in your case it will be another 3850 switch in MC role.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/12/14/3850ma-with-5760mc/

AP passthrough is different where you can connect AP to 3850 (any vlan other than wireless management vlan on that switch). In that case AP won't register to 3850, you can point it to any centralized controller (2504,5500 or even 5760) & register those to that controller. This is useful when you have AP models that is not supported in IOS-XE platforms, but still you want to connect those into those switches & register to a supported controller

let us know any further queries.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Thank you for this response. with passthrough future that means I can use a mix of 2960 series and 3850 series switches as  both support location awareness and mobility i.e. give borderless experience.

regarding your comment on whether the LAN base image of 3850 supports MA role or not, I have been checking and couldn't find definitive answer. The info I got say summarily that the LAN base image doesn't support Wireless Controller but doesn't mention MA support separately. for price sake I would go for the LAN base image, if this MA support can be confirmed by anyone.

http://www.router-switch.com/ws-c3850-24p-l-p-5214.html

If you have LAN base 3850, try this

wireless management interface vlan x
wireless mobility controller ip x.x.x.x

If these two command accepts without any problem, then it should work as MA. But to be 100% I would configure MC as well & plug an AP to MA & see if that register.

Here is how you configure normal 3850 as MC

wireless mobility controller
wr
reload
!
wireless management interface vlan X
wireless mobility controller peer-group ABC
wireless mobility controller peer-group ABC member ip <MA_Wireless_Mgt_IP>

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

I actually have two ipbase 3850  non-poe switch which will be stacked and serve as core switch on to which the AP licenses will be copied. And the plan was to connect the APs to 2960 PoE switch which i have them already, with this not possible to make it work, 

a. I need to order another 3850 PoE IPbase or Lan base switch to connect the APs to

b. get a refund of the AP licenses and buy AIR-CT2504-50-K9.  The AP licenses have not yet been used, i.e. have not yet been copied to the core switch.

What do you think is the return policy of the cisco? a bit out context question!

thanks!

I think option (b) is the easiest way.

In fact there is a special promotion when you buy two APs (3702,2702 or 1702) you will get 2504 with 25 AP license almost free of cost. Here are the part numbers for those promotions 

AIR-AP3702I-UX-WLC
AIR-AP2702I-UX-WLC
AIR-AP1702I-A-WLC <- pick the correct regulatory domain AP model as per your country

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

I overlooked "lanbase" image component.

With that image, I do not think you can have MA role. You need to have min IPBase in order to the configuration given in the below post.

HTH

Rasika

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Might also want to review this

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps12686/white_paper_c11-726107.html

-Scott

Scott,

I'm not sure why you included the link (Mobility Configuration Guide, Cisco IOS XE Release 3SE (Catalyst 3850 Switches))

-

Is this perhaps a way for Access Points that are not directly connected to the 3850 to join the Wirless Lan Controller portion  of the switch?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card