cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vcs resources overview shows zero resources ???

Chet Cronin
Level 4
Level 4

Well need some help here. 

VCS running X7.2

1.  VCS was configured for primary cluster.

2.  Had Database Failure indication in the clustering section. 

3.  Deleted fields in clustering page saved and restarted VCS

4. After restart had resources = zero and verified Optionkeys installed and looked norm.  No alarms or errors.

5. Decided to reinstall firmware X.7.2.0 .... 

6. Same result... resources = zero

Any ideas please. 

VR

Chet Cronin
801-815-3539(USA)
+9379 601-3954 (Afghanistan)

Chet Cronin
16 Replies 16

Alok Jaiswal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chet,

i will suggest you to open the TAC case. They can try to remove the cluster-db and see if it helps.

Rgds

Alok

Paulo Souza
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Are you saying that you have removed the primary VCS from the cluster? You should not remove the primary VCS from the cluster, even when you have a data base failure. You should first set another VCS in the cluster to be the master, then you can remove the faulty VCS from the cluster and then you ca try to re-add it again to the cluster (it normally requires a factory reset in the VCS before re-adding).

Can you confirm if you really have simply removed the primary VCS from the cluster without following Cisco documentation?

Regards

Paulo Souza

Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Please, take a look at the session “VCS database failure: Please contact your Cisco support

representative” of this guide:

Starting on page 59 -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/telepresence/infrastructure/vcs/config_guide/Cisco_VCS_Cluster_Creation_and_Maintenance_Deployment_Guide_X7-2.pdf

That describes exactly your problem and how to fix that.

In this case, I strongly recommend you to open a TAC request.

I hope this help.

Paulo Souza

Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Paulo Souza Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

I opened a TAC: 627219079.

I am going to work the first issue. That is The error  "Failed - This Peer either has a different list of peers or it has a different software version installed."  and I have  in the Cluster database status section   STATUS = FAILED on both VCS's.

I upgraded both of them from X6.0 to X7.2.0.

Chet Cronin
801-815-3539(USA)

Chet Cronin

Hi,

I recommend you to remove the cluster, restart the VCSs and leave in standalone mode.

After that, you have to create again the cluster.

If you have a configuration backup you can do a restore.

Regards.

I did that already and no change. 

Would it be good to just reinstall the firmware ??

Chet Cronin
801-815-3539(USA)

Chet Cronin

Hi Chet,

I don't think this is going to resolve your issue. According to the documentation I posted above, the best way is to do the following:

• Set anohter VCS as the cluster master
  • Factory reset the faulty VCS
  • Add that VCS back to the cluster again

Of course, that is just a summary, there are too many steps involved, obviously, and the documentation describes all the steps required. As those tasks have a high risk level, I strongly suggest to follow the documentation step-by-step and the instructions provided by TAC support. I really don't suggest you to try to resolve the problem by yourself without assistance from TAC.

I hope this help.

Paulo Souza

Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

All three of them have the same indication.

I did change the master and tried it again but no luck.

What is strange is the fact the error says either there is a different list of peers or software version different.

I re-installed the firmware on all three with the exact same firmware file.  I also have all peers IP's in the same Peer on each VCS but the darn things day

Database status "FAILED"

Last Sync "FAILD" except the master which is "SUCCEED". 

Sheesh CISCO must be real friends with Microsoft ........ I like Polycom Network devices.

Yep I am frustrated.

Chet Cronin

Chet,

Did you try to factory reset the faulty VCS or you just simply reinstall the software? You can try to factory reset, upgrade and then add to the cluster again. If the data base status for the master peer is good, so you can add the faulty peers to the cluster again from zero.

The doc explains how to remove the VCS from the cluster in the session "VCS database failure: Please contact your Cisco support". Did you try that procedure?

Regards

Paulo Souza

Was my response helpful? Please rate useful replies and remember to mark any solved questions as "answered".

Hi Chet,

the reason for "the error says either there is a different list of peers or software version different" points towards the faulty database on the peer.

this is possible with cluster-db correuption on the secondary.

Have you opened the TAC case? what is the SR number?

Rgds

Alok

Yes I did. They asked me to do a factorydefault reset to see if that clears it.

Chet Cronin

Hi Alok,

Have you the VCSs in VMware or they are appliances?

There is a way, in vmware to change the image to load at the beginning of the boot proccess. You can change the boot load to load the image2 instead of the image1.

I have two VCSc in lab enviroment and I had the same issue. With this change was resolved the issue.

Note that you lost all configuration of your VCS (factory default) and I had to configure again (restore).

Regards.

Hi Romero,

Chet is facing this issue not me .

np. just to clarify you have two images on appliance box also. and you can select the other image using "selectsw" command boot the box through it.

however in this case the box actually falls to the previous image which box has came with in case if you have performed any upgrades and you might not have any config. And when you reload the software it actually reload the sw on your default image only. So in your case you might have recovered this way but chet has tried the reload and it didn't fixed the issue.

Chet,

give me sometime i will reach home and give you some steps to try out.

Rgds

Alok

I will be standing by.  No changes made today other than remove cluster information from the page and save and restart.

Chet Cronin
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: