Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Gateway to Gateway VPN tunnel on RV042

Hello,

We have two sites with a few users on each, which we need to interconnect using VPN tunnel using two RV042 routers. Sites connected to each other via Ethernet, so we can use Static IPs on both sites. A simple diagram is like this:

PC1                                               PC4

|                                                      |

PC2 ----------RV042 <---------------------------------------> RV042 ------- PC5

PC3                                                PC6

I have used this example and the similar to configure VPN tunnel between the routers, but no success. Only when I use "Keying Mode" as Manual, sites connect immediately, even on another router IKE with Preshared key is set. I used all IPSec settings by default, I also tried another authenticating and encryption settings, but again without success.

Both routers have the latest firmware v4.2.2.08.

Please anyone help me.

Thanks!

8 Replies 8

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Farhad,

Thank you for reaching the Small Business Support Community.

Please check on the below document to double check on the VPN gateway to gateway configuration settings;

http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/Loginr.aspx?login=1&pid=2&app=search&vw=1&articleid=304

If everything is correctly configured on both sides and still unable to establish the VPN connection, I would then suggest you to uncheck some of the 'Advanced" VPN settings; starting with "Dead Peer Detection", if still nothing then uncheck the "keep-alive" and then "Aggressive mode" if still no success.

Please try this out and let me know if there is any further assistance I may help you with.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Dear Jeffrey,

All made in accordance with suggested instruction. No result.

On the next week I`ll try reach the site and made corrections  with VPN settings, but I remember that I tried enabling and disabling advanced settings as well.

Anyway, thank you very much, I'll try it again.

If you are connecting  via ethernet,  why  bother  with  VPN ?  Why not  just  use  routing  rules  to  connect  them  with a  smart  switch ?

hammalhi
Level 1
Level 1

If you choose VPN Gateway to Gateway

1. add a new tunnel
  2. give the tunnel a name like "business name city name"
  3. chose the LAN port to use WAN1
  4. next is local group setup.
  5. I use IP Only
  6. the router WAN ip address is there and greyed out. take note         of this IP
  7. Local Security Group Type SUBNET
  8. enter your internal IP segmant. (if you are using 192.168.1.1         then enter 192.168.1.0
  9. enter subnet 255.255.255.0
  10. Remote group setup is next.
  11. again IP only
  12. enter Her WAN IP address
  13. Choose Subnet
  14. then enter her internal IP segmant. note it has to be         different then yours. (if you are using 192.168.2.1 enter         192.168.2.0)
  15. Ike with preshared
  16. Group 1
  17. DES
  18. MD5
  19. 28800 and so on
  20. Enter the pre shared key and take not of it

Look at page 36    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv042/admin/guide/RV042_V10_UG_C-WEB.pdf

Now do the same thing on the other router just revers the local       and remote security groups. it is important that the two router       are on different Ip segments.

if you have any question just ask.

Thanks

Dear Hammad,

That's all what I have done, but no result.

Thank you.

lutlai
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Farhad,

Could you possible upload pictures of your configurations so we can further troubleshoot your problem?

Thanks,

Lutz Lai

Hi Lutz,

See below:

asanchezll
Level 1
Level 1

PC1                                               PC4

PC7------ Router01---------PC2 ----------RV042 <---------------------------------------> RV042 ------- PC5

PC3                                                PC6

Does RV042 support this?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: