cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless Outdoor Coverage

DOUGLAS EVANS
Level 1
Level 1

Oddball Request. County Fair Grounds wants to offer Wireless access. They have a 40 foot pole in center of the Fairgrounds that they think they can mount an AP to. Coverage would be about 800ft diameter. Cisco Outdoor AP in a NEMA enclosure with omni-directional antenna(s)??? I would assume both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.   After reading some other threads, I'm going to have a problem with client's path back to the AP correct?  Is mesh the only way?  Thoughts?  THANK YOU.

8 Replies 8

vlad.mihailov
Level 1
Level 1

One AP will not be enough in this scenario. I would suggest a proper RF site survey first.

aqjaved
Level 3
Level 3

Five Ways to Boost Wireless  Coverage in Your Office Please check the below link for step by step  configuration:

http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/five-ways-to-boost-wireless-coverage-in-your-office/

EvaldasOu
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Douglas,

It could work of course, but a lot of as you known depends on the client. You need to test it with different client devices. What about interference on site? You should use 2.4 GHz band.

With laptops it could work, with smartphones over the big distance - maybe not.

Please take a look at the mesh AP design guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/7.0MR1/design/guide/MeshAP_70MR1.html#wp2187586

I pointed specifically to the client-ap distance/power table.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As per your diagram attached, i can find that you can use omni-directional antenna as an omnidirectional antenna is a class of antenna which radiates radio wave power uniformly in all directions in one plane, with the radiated power decreasing with elevation angle above or below the plane, dropping to zero on the antenna's axis.

And in your topology you can attach each other having mesh topology.And 2.4 Ghz will be preferred in comparision to 5 Ghz as 2.4 Ghz has longer range.And also few devices are able to operate in 5 GHz range.

I'd object the statement of 5GHz having longer range than 2.4GHz. From RF perspective this is the oposite - 2.4GHz has a longer range, and as for the AP the output power of both frequencies is about the same. 

I have also mentioned the same thing, please have a look again "as 2.4 Ghz has longer range"

I don't know what was I reading?! Sorry my mistake.

kaaftab
Level 4
Level 4

I agree with every ones reply but AP range is one thing but capacity planing is an other try to have a professional to do a site survay and wireless mesh will be the most cost effective solution in many situations and ROI will be far better.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: