Looks like the release notes for 4.3.2 indicate an upcoming download for XRv (XR4U?). 4.3.2 is available for download now for ASR9000 and CRS. Anyone know when we might see a download for XRv?
It will be nice to have a couple of these VMs running in a lab.
I am glad to see the interest in XRv which can be thought of asd the next-gen XR4U. XRv's first release is 4.3.2 as you have seen, but this is a limited availability release. Below is some general information, but please do contact your Cisco account team for more information.
IOS XRv is a Virtual Machine running the IOS-XR operating system. The VM combines Route-Processor and Line-card functionality in a single image, offering full control-plane and management plane capabilities as contained in the regular IOS XR operating system. Release 4.3.2 will only offer vRR version with limited availability, no Demo and Simulator offering.
With XRv we are planning three types of images: demo, simulation, and production. The differences in the images have to do with the data plane rate limits and licensing needed.
There are 3 main use cases for IOS XRv:
- XR familiarization and education (Demo version will NOT be offered in Release 4.3.2)
- Configuration staging and testing- Network Modeling (Simulator version will NOT be offered in Release 4.3.2)
- vRR: virtual router production use cases, starting with vRR (Route Reflector is the only version in Release 4.3.2)
I'm one of the XRv development leads. As has been mentioned on this thread already, Cisco IOS XR 5.1.1 software is *LIVE on CCO*.
This includes over 100 new feature offerings supported across multiple platforms including new platform support for XRv.
I've been collecting customer 5.1.1 links for XRv, and it's growing so I may add more (there are some minor changes to the release notes and the data sheet to come - bear with us as we don't release new platforms - even virtual ones - too often). Note that the demo image is free to use and the download works. The production images require the correct PIDs (I'll post more on this later).
I hope this product is useful, and we'll have many more features to come in future releases (HA for example...).
Rich Wellum ([email protected])
XRv 5.1.1 release and download information
General page with link to release notes, config guide and download:
The demo images download link:
Quick Guide to ESXi
Some mentions from Outside Cisco:
* Demo Locked Image: iosxrv-demo.ova and iosxrv-demo.vmdk
* Demo Locked Image with Crypto: iosxrv-k9-demo.ova and iosxrv-k9-demo.vmdk
* Production Capable Image: iosxrv.ova and iosxrv.vmdk
* Production Capable Image with Crypto :iosxrv-k9.ova and iosxrv-k9.vmdk