Views
Helpful
Replies

1000V after installation

shraavan07
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Friends,

I have a quick question. I have 1000V install. I have Host and VMs move over to 1000V. Is there a way to check if the 1000V is being utilized or vSwitch0. Is it possible to remove vSwitch0 since I am using 1000V? Please advise.

Thank you,

Hardik

5 Replies 5

sprasath
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Hardik,

You can check this from the vCenter GUI. Click on a host and go to Configuration->Networking.

Click on 'vSphere Standard Switch' to see if the standard switch is being used. For example:

Here the vmk0 interface is still on the vSwitch.

Click on 'vSphere Distributed Switch' to see what's on the Distributed Switch (N1k):

Thanks,

Shankar

Keny Perez
Level 8
Level 8

Hardik,

The answer you were looking for was given by Shankar, just to answer your question about whether the vSwitch0 can be removed or not... it CANNOT,  the vSwitch is embedded on each ESXi host, you just have the option to bypass it or stopp using it, but it will always be there.

My 2 cents...

Note: Rate any useful answer

-Kenny

Kenny/Hardik,

You can remove any standard switch. For example, the above post showed vSwitch0. I moved the connections off it to the N1k and removed it:

Thanks,

Shankar

Shankar,

Thanks for the information, maybe I did not express myself in the right way, what I meant is that the vSwitch, even though you dont see it there, it is present somehow in the host, like in this case, its name is changed to VEM when the vSwitch becomes a module of the N1Kv.

Sorry if I caused confusion.

-Kenny

Hello Guys,

Thank you for the input. Can you please explain me how I can move the connection from VSwitch0 to N1K.

Thank you,

Hardik