Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Connect an AP to a Guest Anchor WLC?

Unanswered Question
Sep 9th, 2013
User Badges:

We have two WLC 5508 and one foreign guest anchor WLC at the primary data center, also a 5508 box. I would like to connect an AP directly to the guest anchor WLC through its guest VLAN interface, so that the same configuration is applied to it as other APs connected to frontend WLCs connecting users.

Would this work or should I create a separate interface on the guest anchor WLC to connect the local AP?

Thanks

Sankung

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Rasika Nayanajith Mon, 09/09/2013 - 21:23
User Badges:
  • Purple, 4500 points or more
  • Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

You should be fine with that & it should work as normally. You do not want to have seperate interface to do this.

HTH

Rasika

sawosankung Tue, 09/10/2013 - 10:04
User Badges:

Thank you all. I will go ahead and deploy this AP. Actually the AP is purposely for guest access to the Internet, not to access Internal network/services.

Many thanks again.

Regards

Sankung

Saurav Lodh Mon, 09/09/2013 - 22:20
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

The above scenarion should work, as the managment and control traffic will be channelled to anchor WLC. Config. will be a part of it.

Scott Fella Tue, 09/10/2013 - 04:23
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Not a best practice but as long as your AP is just for guest traffic it would be fine. If your also want to have it like your other APs and have other SSID's, then I wouldn't do that since you have to pole holes in your firewall to allow traffic inside unless you do a reverse anchor to the foreign WLC. You might be better to just use FlexConnect and AP Groups and have the AP terminate to the foreign WLC, but I don't know your setup.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

sawosankung Tue, 09/10/2013 - 10:05
User Badges:

Your point well noted. The AP is only meant for guest access to the Internet.

Thanks

Sankung

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode