Views
Helpful
Replies

can you install a single band antenna on dual band ap connectors

Joeri De Winter
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

just a question, what happens if you install single band antennas onto dual band ap connectors, would it work?

greets

J.

20 Replies 20

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It will work, but you will only be able to transmit from the radio that the antenna is made for. So if its a 2.4ghz antenna and you put that on a 3602 for example, then you need to disable the 802.11a radio and it will not work for that band.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hey Scott,

Good to know, thx

Greets

I think that's a bad idea. You should look at some physical parameters of the antenna and the AP itself. What kind of models do you use?

Check these links and read more about VSWR ( Voltage Standing Wave Ratio) , antenna Impedance:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2160426

http://www.antenna-theory.com/basics/impedance.php

I understand, so let me clarify why Insaid what I said.

It's not something everyone does, there have been post in the past where users have migrated from 1242's for example to 2600's or 3600's and still want to use the same AP's temporarily. Normally, you would want to purchase new antennas and that is the norm, but in very few cases, antennas need to be reused in which it will work, but not recommended.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I agree that it should work and it can work, if all the antenna/ connector parameters matches.

But if it does not match, antenna can warm up, catch the fire and possibly burn the building.

That would be a dramatic outcome...

The test case would be a bridge link on two 2602e access points with AIR-ANT5170P-R antennas over 500m, the antenna connectors only connect to 2 of the 4 access point connectors.

The customer had already bought these items and wants to install these between 2 buildings over 400 meters.

It's not recommended, but I guess it should work

any other drawbacks?

thx in advance

J.

It is not only possible its actually one of the ways to use some of the antennas released for 1552-series. There are antennas that are released for the use with only single band while 1552E has a dual-band antenna feeder.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps11451/data_sheet_c78-641373.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/antenna/installation/guide/ant5114P.html

It will work. But you might expect higher reties and other crazy stuff. You are releasing a wave form from the radio that doesnt match the antenna element.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

George,

Why is that? Feeder is dual band and antenna is specified to work with one of the two bands. I don't see any issues using this setup from the RF point of view. ...leaving trivia about non-matching impedence-related issues aside.

Vlad my friend you are correct. I read this question as if there was a mis match between the radio freq and the antenna freq.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

But yes the antennas are tuned for the freq you plan to use ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi George,

interesting, so this means that the antenna elements are different for dual mode antenas as for single mode antennas and the radio waves comming from the access point are "tuned" towards the type of antenna (single or dual mode).

so in the case of an 1602e access point you can use the AIR-ANT2566P4W-R (dual band, 4 ports) antenna and skip one antenna cable.

but you can not use the AIR-ANT5140V-R (single band, 3 ports) antenna on that 1602e access point and disable the 2.4GHz band.

bottomline,  dual mode ap connectors need dual mode antennas

You can use MIMO antenna that is single band with MIMO AP connectors that is dual-band provided that the antenna is for WiFi :-)

Hey Vlad,

So if I am correct, you can use a AIR-ANT5140V-R (single band, 3 ports) antenna on a 1602e access point and disable the 2.4GHz band.

or use this antenna on the 2602e and only enable the abc connectors.

on the 2602 you can select which antenna connectors you want to enable connector a (single antenna) , ab, abc or abcd, quite confusing if you can only use MIMO antennas i would say.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: