Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does RV320 meet my requirements?

Hi guys,

I've been trawling the documentation (admin guide, knowledge base at http://sbkb.cisco.com and forum posts) trying to figure out whether the RV320 would meet my requirements.  I selected this model because it seems sufficiently powerful, and it is not a wireless model.  Wireless access is absolutely redundant as I have APs to provide this functionality.

The router would need to perform the following 3 functions:

1. Provide secure (firewalled) Internet access to a variety of clients using only WAN1; those clients should also be able to talk to each other --> This should not be a problem, any router can do this, but I'm not convinced I can prevent the clients from using WAN2.  I would need to use the Load Balance mode, because I need Protocol Binding (see point 3).  Can it be done?
  2. Provide secure (firewalled) Internet access to "guest" clients using only WAN1; those clients should not be able to access anything besides the Internet - so no access to other network devices/clients.  They would use an AP to connect. I can have those clients on a separate VLAN starting on the AP, but I've not found a way (in documentation) to define a "guest" Internet access (preventing internal access) or to link it to a VLAN.  Can it be done?  Would I need to use separate ports on the router and assign different VLANs, or can I use a single port with multiple tagged VLANs (one for the regular clients and one for the guests)?  My network consists of managed switches only (SG300 series) so VLANs can be propagated.  I would prefer to use a single cable from my main switch to the router.
  3. Segregate protocol-specific traffic from a single client to use only WAN2 --> This should be possible using the "protocol binding" functionality - correct?  I would also like to be able to place this client in a separate VLAN or subnet, and have all Internet traffic from this VLAN or subnet be carried only on WAN2.  Can it be done?

Thanks for any feedback!

Please feel free to propose a different product within roughly the same price range - I would prefer a non-wireless product.

Best regards,

Chris

Note to Cisco: DynDNS is no longer free.  It would be good if more dynamic DNS options were present, as is the case in DD-WRT (you can even use a URL), allowing for free solutions.  This feature is extremely limited in its present form.

1 Reply 1

jeffrrod
Level 4
Level 4

Dear Chris,

Thank you for reaching the Small Business Support Community.

After doing a research on the same documentation and tools you already did, I see no way to address particular traffic to a particular WAN interface only and in order to have a second opinion or suggestion I recommend you to contact the nearest Cisco Partner;

http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.do

You may also inquire by chat to one of our Cisco sales/tech support representatives directly;

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/small-business/sbcountrysupport

I apologize for the delay in  our answer and please do not hesitate to reach me back if there is any further assistance I may help you with.

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:.
Cisco Customer Support Engineer

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Jeffrey Rodriguez S. .:|:.:|:. Cisco Customer Support Engineer *Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: