cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP Problem

patrick.hurley
Level 3
Level 3

I have an SG300.   I have two ports on vlan 20 which is subnet 172.20.20.0/24.   The laptop I have needs to get it's DHCP address from the device that is connected to one of the two ports on vlan 20.   However the laptop that is connected to one of the ports is getting its dhcp address from the switch so it's getting an ip from 192.160.0.0/24 which is vlan 1.   Of course I need it to be on the subnet associated with vlan 20 which is 172.20.20.0/24.   I am brain dead.  What am I needing to configure so that vlan 20 doesn't get an IP address from vlan 1 subnet 192.168.0.0/24?               

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Patrick, there is too much information missing.

First you need to state the criteria you've met.

1.) Is the switch in layer 3 mode?

2.) Did you set up vlan 20 with an IP address?

3.) Did you configure the DHCP pool and default router for vlan 20?

4.) Did you configure an access port for the connecting client to vlan 20 untagged?

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Patrick, there is too much information missing.

First you need to state the criteria you've met.

1.) Is the switch in layer 3 mode?

2.) Did you set up vlan 20 with an IP address?

3.) Did you configure the DHCP pool and default router for vlan 20?

4.) Did you configure an access port for the connecting client to vlan 20 untagged?

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

1. Yes

2. Yes it's 172.20.20.1

3. I am not using the switch for dhcp for the 172.20.20.0 subnet.  It's coming from the Netgate that the laptop is connected. I'd like it so that nothing on the 172.20.20.0 subnet responds to DHCP from the DHCP server especially considering I don't have it configured for that subnet.

4. Yes.

Thanks for helping Tom.

I put in the scope and it works now

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

This happened to be a bug

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App