Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 - Static ISP address and Mac address off switch ports

Antonio Simoes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I´m having problems in configure my ISP Static address.

After reading I know that ASA 5505 share phisical mac address to all ports off the switch. And in ASDM I access to the interface and in advanced option is possible to configure one mac.

But when I run sh interface ethernet in every port, shows the same mac. But whith the sh interface vlan 1, shows the mac inserted manualy.

Which of the macs should I give to my ISP? The phisical interface or the vlan interface?

If I change the VLAN mac, isn´t that mac that is fixed to the layer 2 datagram?

Kind Regards,

AS

2 Replies 2

Jouni Forss
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It should me the MAC Address of the Vlan interface.

I tested this once for someone here on the CSC when they were having a problem when they replaced the firewall and lost connectivity because ISP still had the wrong ARP table information (same public IP but different MAC)

I for example confirmed that I could configure the same MAC address that they had to my ASA5505 and see that at our ISP core devices ARP table (I work for the ISP)

- Jouni

Hi Jouni,

But I changed it too in the interface option, but the ping didnt pass. I will talk to their support, maybe thay have extra security methods or sometihng.

Kind Regards,

AS

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card