Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 1000V: recommended number of uplink port-profiles

jamesl0112
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am investigating a migration from the VMware vDS to the Nexus 1000V - is there a recommendation for the how many uplink port-profiles (port-profile type ethernet) there should be?

The current VMware vDS has two uplink ports, with one pNIC from each host in each.

If I create two Nexus 1000V port-profiles to match this, as follows:

port-profile type ethernet uplink1

vmware port-group

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan n

no shutdown

system vlan n

state enabled

port-profile type ethernet uplink2

vmware port-group

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan n

no shutdown

system vlan n

state enabled

Then add one NIC from a host to each, I receive the following error:

%VEM_MGR-SLOT3-2-VEM_SYSLOG_CRIT: VLAN_MISCONFIG : Eth3/1 and Eth3/2 are carrying vlans [n]. Configure a port-channel on a port-profile carrying multiple uplinks on the same VEM to avoid network loops. (Ignore if any of these ports are configured as local SPAN destination)

I presume this could be avoided by using 'channel-group auto mode on mac-pinning' on the port-profiles - my questions are:

- Is it necessary to have multiple port-profiles in a port-channel or can one host have two uplinks in a single ethernet port-profile?

- If a single port-profile is recommended - does this mean one is required per host?

- If multiple port-profiles & port-channels are recommended - is this still on a per-host basis or could multiple hosts be added to the same uplink port-profiles?

Thanks

J

2 Replies 2

sprasath
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

You can use one Ethernet port-profile with a channel-group command (like 'channel-group auto mode on mac-pinning') and assign it to all the vmnic interfaces that need to carry the same set of VLANs

The same port-profile can be used on other hosts too. The N1k would automatically bundle (port-channel) the interfaces that belong to the same ESX host (accomplished through the 'channel-group auto' command)

If you need the interfaces to carry separate sets of VLANs, then you need a different port-profile.

Port-profile is just a container for a common set of configuration that you can apply for multiple interfaces across multiple hosts.

Thanks,

Shankar

Shahzad Arain
Level 1
Level 1
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card