Views
Helpful
Replies

Redundancy for WLC2504

a-weitzel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I want to build the WLC2504 redundant (fail-safe). A short downtime during the switch over is not a problem. There are 20 AP to the WLC.

What do I have to order? Another WLC2504 with 25 licenses or you can also AIR-CT2504-HA-K9 (Cisco 2500 Series Wireless Controller for High Availability) used and I need to buy licenses for these too?

Can someone answer me this, unfortunately I do not understand what is the correct and economical choice.

Thanks and regards

Alexander

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For redundancy you have 2 choices. Get another WLC with license or the HA WLC. Both will work, but the HA WLC is cheaper because it's just used for N+1. With a licensed WLC, you can have half on one WLC and half on the other. So it depends how you want your redundancy. I like having licenses because of the fact that I can split the load between the two. This also allows me to know that the other WLC is function properly. Now if budget is a priority, then go with the HA WLC and setup that as N+1.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott,

How does HA gets turned on on the 2504 controller? I never could find this feature.. Running 7.4.100 at the moment.

Thank you.

N+1 is supported on the 2504, AP SSO is not.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide.pdf

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you. Great option I have not yet used.

Hi Scott:

I have a query here, I have one AIR-CT2504-25-K9 and AIR-CT2504-HA-K9 with L-LIC-CT2504-5A.

Can I use this as Active-Active to achieve load balancing and failsafe environment using 2504-HA hardware ?

I have 20 AP's to be managed ....

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can either go for buying HA license or another WLC with licences. The choice can be based on your budget.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card