cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

window artifact

zephynator
Level 1
Level 1

I searched around the forums with no real success in matching the symptoms that I observed, so I am posting to see if I can get something going. There are obviously any number of variables when comparing configurations on client machines, so I am not expecting a direct solution, just hoping that maybe someone else has seen this issue.

I have over 10 new Jabber installs on similarly built PC hardware and software, running Windows7. Two of the PC's have displayed an issue where upon launching Jabber, a blank white window (no Windows borders) appears in front of the Jabber login window, and cannot be moved. Jabber version for this install was 9.1.3. Task Manager reveals that there are 2 Jabber processes running. Kill one, and the main window goes away. Kill the remaining and the white box goes away.

Attempted the same install with 9.2.4 and got a slightly different result. Now the window appears to be of zero size, but due to the shading of the window edge, it still appears as a small "smudge" on the screen. Sometimes it stays in front of windows, sometimes it doesn't. All of this is completely repeatable on 2 PC's of the group.

Tried disabling Aero, completely removing and re-installing, different versions (besides 9.1.3 and 9.2.4), and can't seem to find a resolution to this. Has anyone else see something like this? Everything still works just fine, and for most users, the effect is negligible (except for the 9.1.3 install), but stuff like this is always cause for concern that it could cause confusion with our users. Thanks for any help. Screenshots are attached.

6 Replies 6

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I haven't seen this in the Jabber 9 code; however, in the CUPC 8 code we saw this sort of mess with outdated video drivers, USB-attached video cards, or anything else wonky with DirectX. Not saying that is your problem but perhaps check to see if the driver versions are different between working and non-working machines.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

I have the same issue on Jabber 9.1.0 Build 12296.   Windows 7 x64 bit.  I have 3 monitors on Dell Docking Station.  2VGA connectors, 1 HDMI              Happens when I log in.   If I log  out and then log back in, sometimes it displays the box and other times not.   I have to keep trying until I get a login with no box.  Image attached

JasonCarr2
Level 1
Level 1

This is seems to be caused by having a multi-monitor setup with an extended desktop. If I disable the second monitor Jabber does not display the white box. However, I would like to be able to use both monitors. Any suggestions?

Did any of you manage to find a solution to this issue?  I have a user with 10.5 installed that also has dual monitors and this happens.  Doesn't happen for me and I'm not sure what's different for him.

Unfortunately we were never able to resolve the issue on the platform I originally experienced it on. However, the specific user that I was working with received a hardware upgrade several weeks later, and we did not observe the same issue on the new hardware. My best guess is that it was display/driver related.

No fix, but same issue here on 10.5.0 Build 37889 on Windows 7 64-bit.  Laptop with two external monitors, one of which is via a USB-attached video card.  Fortunately this isn't a show-stopper; just annoying.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: