cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to Start MSE Platform

Neville Price
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3355 MSE, that I have just upgraded to the following IOS 7-5-102-101, all went well with the install, ran through the wizzard etc.  The issue I am experiencing is as follows:

1. /etc/init.d/msed status  Output: STATUS: System components were updated during installation. Please reboot the device using the "reboot" command.  This occurs every time I reboot.

2. /etc/init.d/msed start      Output:  Exacly the same

3.  /etc/init.d/msed stop      Output: MSE shutdown not completed yet. Please try again

Each upgrade I have completed on the MSE, has always had different issues on completion. HELP!!!!!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is not recommended as it will result in the user having to re-install from .iso.  Do not perform this operation.  Call TAC for troubleshooting first.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Neville Price
Level 1
Level 1

I have solved the issue, if anyone is experiencing these issues, please follow the instructions below:

Remove the following:

rm -rf /opt/oracle

rm -rf /opt/data

rm -rf /opt/mse

Run Setup again, make sure all fields are correct

Issue the reboot -r now command

You may have to manually start the MSE

/etc/init.d/msed start

Hi Neville,

i´m facing exactly the same problem after upgrading from 7.5 to 8.0. Since the MSE is only accessible via VSAT, i have to be sure what i´m doing next... If you say "run setup again", do you mean the Setup.sh or installing the MSE with the bin-File?

TiA, Michael

Hi Michael

Yes run setup.sh after the following

Remove

rm -rf /opt/oracle

rm -rf /opt/data

rm -rf /opt/mse

I had to manually start the MSE (/etc/init.d/msed start)

Im glad to say that this worked for me, hope it does for you.

Hi Neville, after rm all Folders naturally the setup.sh was also removed, so i had to reinstall the MSE Application. The Good news is, that after all the MSE works properly and after adding the MSE to the WLCs auth-list the NMSP runs perfectly.

BR, Michael

Thats great as long as it is now working.

I just had to do this on a AIR-MSE-3355-K9

the first indication of the upgrade was going to be an issue is that the backups had stopped working about 3 weeks before.

before doing the above:

rm -rf /opt/oracle

rm -rf /opt/data

rm -rf /opt/mse

be sure that you have saved off your licensing!!! cant stress this enough..

i was going from 8.0.110.10 to 8.0.130.0

thanks all!!!

Thanks Neville, this post helped me a lot as I hit the same issue from upgrading a MSE 7.4 to 8.0.130

The following are the commands I used (in order):

/etc/init.d/msed stop

rm -rf /opt/oracle

rm -rf /opt/data

rm -rf /opt/mse

cd /opt/installers

./CISCO-MSE-L-K9-8-0-130-0-64bit.bin

reboot

/opt/mse/setup/setup.sh                   - set the Prime to MSE password

This is not recommended as it will result in the user having to re-install from .iso.  Do not perform this operation.  Call TAC for troubleshooting first.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'm always grateful when people post the solutions:)

It does help when searching for an answer! Thanks for posting!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Roy Ros
Level 1
Level 1

I followed the same procedure and it worked, but I don't think you have to delete this folders.

After the first try I managed to get the MSE working when I executed the setup.sh, but the MSE was unreachable in PI. The only thing I did at the setup.sh was:

1. Menu Mode

6) Prime Infrastructure password

<Set password and reboot>

The last step for me was to change the username and password in prime 3 (Services > Mobility Services Engines > <Choose your MSE in the right pane> > Edit configuration top right drop down menu > Enter user: admin password: <password entered in setup.sh>.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card