cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Saving all routers configuration by one command in GNS3.

Vitaliy Zinatov
Level 7
Level 7

When working with GNS need to save the configuration on each device separately, so that it can be saved as a file in the GNS on exit. I thought this problem as follows:

Available:

In my case, the virtual topology GNS (CCNP-CCIE) of 12 routers.

Model at all: 2691.

Version: (C2691-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 12.4 (23)

I created an additional router called it SAVER (IP 10.100.100.1), connected it to a network switch pseudo GNS via FastEthernet. Next, all 12 routers connected to this switch. Set up IP addressing, so that all the routers could see 10.100.100.1 ip address. Within this network is only allowed ICMP traffic. Next to each of the 12 routers I enter the following commands (give an example of one of the routers, since the rest are all identical):

# Enable the console output from the monitor reactions

ip sla monitor logging traps

ip sla monitor reaction-configuration 1 connection-loss-enable timeout-enable threshold-falling 5000 action-type trapOnly

# Create a monitor

ip sla monitor 1

# Use the IP address of the router SAVER, sending frequency and timeouts. These parameters can regulate themselves.

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 10.100.100.1

timeout 250

frequency 2

#Launch Monitor

ip sla monitor schedule 1 life forever start-time now

Next, create an applet that will save the configuration and based on the response of the monitor:

event manager applet saving

# If you encounter the following message, perform an action

event syslog pattern "%RTT-4-OPER_TIMEOUT"

action 1 cli command "enable"

action 2 cli command "write"

# At the end to display a message to the console

action 3 syslog msg "Configuration Successfully Saved. You can save GNS project and close it"

Next on the router SAVER create an applet that will provoke the message "%RTT-4-OPER_TIMEOUT" on other routers:

event manager applet saver

#When you enter the save command to run the applet

event cli pattern "save" sync yes

action 1.1 cli command "enable"

action 1.2 cli command "conf t"

# In my case, I used the Fa0/0, you can set up your interface

action 1.3 cli command "interface Fa0/0"

action 1.4 cli command "shutdown"

# Because in my version of IOS there is no commands Wait, I pull time, by generating syslog messages. The lower the frequency of sending ICMP on other routers, the more time you need to pull that load monitor.

action 2.10 syslog msg "Saving Configuration Please Wait"

action 2.11 syslog msg "Saving Configuration Please Wait"

action 2.12 syslog msg "Saving Configuration Please Wait"

action 2.13 syslog msg "Saving Configuration Please Wait"

action 2.14 syslog msg "Saving Configuration Please Wait"

action 2.15 syslog msg "Saving Configuration Please Wait"

action 2.16 syslog msg "Saving Configuration Please Wait"

action 2.17 syslog msg "Saving Configuration Please Wait"

action 2.18 syslog msg "Saving Configuration Please Wait"

action 2.19 syslog msg "Saving Configuration Please Wait"

action 2.20 syslog msg "Saving Configuration Please Wait"

action 2.21 syslog msg "Saving Configuration Please Wait"

action 3.4 cli command "no shutdown"

action 3.5 cli command "end"

action 3.6 cli command "write"

Result: enter the command save, and after 1-2 seconds, all configurations are stored on your routers.

If you are using TACACS then you need to specify the Event Manager user who has privileges.

If you do not have free FastEthernet interfaces on routers, we can arrange it all through routing, but it can create some problems.

To me this solution saves time, offer your solutions, thank you for your attention.

----------------------------------------------------------- Прошу вас оценивать и отмечать полезные для вас сообщения. Please rate helpful answers.
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Yes you're right, GNS3 will save the startup and if you don't copy the running to startup then GNS3 will do nothing for you.

I like your EEM script but why not use a script with putty to send the wr command on all routers and do a cron job for this script ? Wouldn't it be simpler ?

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

Hi,

I've made it work with ssh, in the batch file:

D:\Alain\Desktop\putty.exe -ssh -l alain   -pw cisco -m D:\Alain\Desktop\test.txt  192.168.10.254

And on the router:

line vty 0 15

login local

privilege level 15

Regards

Alain

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

jamie.grive
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure how this thread is a question - but that's a nice use of EEM, good job.

If you are working on a project you can make GNS3 save all the configs when you save the project...nothing extra needed. But like the EEM stuff.

Mike

Its true but it save startup-configs not running-configs or am I wrong?

----------------------------------------------------------- Прошу вас оценивать и отмечать полезные для вас сообщения. Please rate helpful answers.

Hi,

Yes you're right, GNS3 will save the startup and if you don't copy the running to startup then GNS3 will do nothing for you.

I like your EEM script but why not use a script with putty to send the wr command on all routers and do a cron job for this script ? Wouldn't it be simpler ?

Regards

Alain

Thanks for the advice, to be honest I did not even consider this option. Today I'll try.

I tried the option suggested by you, but something I can not. So

I created a script file (r1.txt)  with the following content:

enable

write

Then i created batch file with the following content:

D:\putty\putty.exe -telnet -m D:\putty\r1.txt -P 2106 127.0.0.1

When i run this batch file i recieve folowing output:

Connected to Dynamips VM "R1" (ID 5, type c2691) - Console port

Press ENTER to get the prompt.

or , If I press enter, enter configuration mode, close the terminal window and run the script again:

Connected to Dynamips VM "R1" (ID 5, type c2691) - Console port

Press ENTER to get the prompt.

E{M'}T

R1#p}

R1#

Hi,

I've got the same behaviour here, I'm going to investigate and let you know.

Regards

Alain

Hi,

I've made it work with ssh, in the batch file:

D:\Alain\Desktop\putty.exe -ssh -l alain   -pw cisco -m D:\Alain\Desktop\test.txt  192.168.10.254

And on the router:

line vty 0 15

login local

privilege level 15

Regards

Alain

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card